Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wwi records help plz

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

XsueX

XsueX Report 2 Sep 2009 14:34

how do i get hold of my grt grandads wwi records plz.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 2 Sep 2009 14:39

Have you searched for him on Ancestry or the National Archives?

Ancestry has Medal cards-Pension and service records but
not all records survive as many were burnt during the London Blitz.

XsueX

XsueX Report 2 Sep 2009 14:44

i have found him on ancestory and in the national archives. some one emailed me the papers but cannot read the writing that well.
apparently they have not been correctly decoded. i dont know what this means as i am new to some of this.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 2 Sep 2009 14:53

Sue

I am not qite sure what you mean about not being correctly decoded, but if you have the records that is how they are, and you will not get any other records

Many of these records suffered water and fire damage in ww2 and i realise they are difficult to read, its a question of analysing the writing, difficult i know but its the only way im afraid.

George

XsueX

XsueX Report 2 Sep 2009 14:54

ok thks.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 2 Sep 2009 15:07

Sue

If you give us his name and the other details you have of his record we can have a look at the records on Ancestry, and see if we can help to decipher the details for you.

George

XsueX

XsueX Report 2 Sep 2009 17:52

joseph henry meleady
birth 1879
kent england
british army wwi service records 1914-1920

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 2 Sep 2009 18:01

sue I have found them, the images appear pretty clear. What do you want to know?
it gives his dob as 23 aug 1879
occ; Carman

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 2 Sep 2009 18:04

Have you actually looked at the images because I have to say they are pretty clear to me.

His name by the way is down as Henry Joseph and his wife is Helen Jane Jell marr 22 07 03
children: Doris Ellen Eliza b 6 12 05
Lilian Mary b 20 11 07

Jennifer

XsueX

XsueX Report 2 Sep 2009 18:15

no i dont have access to them, but some one sent me them in an email but was not very good i dont know why.
i just maybe i could have printed them off my pc then. but opened the documents with adobe reader and it just said can not as havent been decoded properly i dont know why.
perhaps i will have to just pay to get access then can see them properly.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 2 Sep 2009 18:17

This is the transcipt i found, not Henry Joseph but Joseph Henry, looked at the images, they are pretty clear to me as well, by comparision to many others i have seen.

Could it be if someone has sent these to you by email they have lost some of the defintion

Henry Joseph Meleady
Birth Year: abt 1880
Birth Parish: Lower Walmer
Birth County: Kent
Regiment Name: RE
Regiment Number: 1040
Document Year: 1915
Number of Images: 5

George

Edit just seen your reply

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 2 Sep 2009 18:19

Ah I see. Have you still got the original e-mail and attachments?
If so can you not save the attachments to your computer eg My Documents which is where I usually save things initially.

I can send you them again but would need your e-mail address so you would have to send me it via a PM

Jennifer

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 2 Sep 2009 18:22

Rutland Belle

I was just going to suggest the same, but i am going out shortly, so i will leave it with you,

George

XsueX

XsueX Report 2 Sep 2009 18:23

sorry got confused there henry joseph meleady. yes it said that the documents were damaged through the email so adobe cannot open them.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 2 Sep 2009 18:24

Have a nice time George.

The records are very clear if a bit muddled as one page refers to another person with the same surname.

Jennifer

XsueX

XsueX Report 2 Sep 2009 18:26

have pm you jennifer