Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 records - long delay from MOD - info only

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 2 Sep 2009 17:14

Hi all,

Just thought I would let you know that there is a six to eight month delay in getting WW2 service records. To do this go to www.veterans-uk.org for info - costs £30 and you have to be next of kin. Will be interesting to see if it takes them six to eight months to cash the cheque!

Helen

Diane

Diane Report 2 Sep 2009 20:07

Hi Helen, yes I too have received a letter saying there is a 6-8 month delay due to the high workload they have (urgent welfare requests). They did offer to send back my cheque if I did not want to wait, but I am leaving it with them and hope it doesn't take as long as they expect......

Susan

Susan Report 4 Sep 2009 11:56

Likewise
Mine came back within 6weeks and I was very pleased with the result.
Well worth the 30 UK Pounds.
Sue

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Sep 2009 12:08

thats's good news on the timing front
I suspect the latest series of WDYTYA has increased the number of requests they are getting
I'll definitely wait rather than cancel the request and hopefully we will find out much more than we know already

LakesLass

LakesLass Report 6 Sep 2009 09:19

Hi all just browsing and found this thread.
My mums 2 brothers, both now deceased, were in the army in WW2. One had 2 children, who would now be next of kin I presume and the other had no children and his wife is also deceased. My Mum is the eldest of the siblings, would she count as next of kin?
If so how do we apply for the service records for this particular brother.
Thanks

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 6 Sep 2009 10:04

go to www.veterans-uk.org

there is a SAR form (to request the details) and a kinship form

basically next of kin is the first surviving relative in this list, e.g. if there is no widow, then next of kin is a son/daughter, if no son or daughter survive, then next of kin is a grandchild etc etc

widow/widower
son/daughter
grandchild
father/mother
brother/sister
nephew/niece
grandparent
other relative

so unless the person's parents are still living, as a sibling your mother would be next of kin, it doesn't seem to matter that she is the eldest sibling, my husband applied for his father's records and he has two older brothers, but that was fine

Diane

Diane Report 7 Apr 2010 21:37

Just an update with reference to ww records. I finally received my grandfathers service details after waiting 7 months, and I must say it was well worth the wait. There is an awful lot of information for me to go through and I am really pleased. Would advise anyone to go ahead....