Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot matches and a tree match query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 3 Sep 2009 03:36

Hi all,

Can anyone please advise if you have experienced this and if so let me know what is happening?

1: I have had a number of people contacting me and telling me that they have several matches with me yet they are not in my hot matches listing. Why are they getting matched with me and not vice versa? They people they list ARE in my tree but are not coming up as hot matches.

2: A person in my tree that I have just added states that they have 56 tree matches in their display box. When I click on this to see who they are matched with, I get a message to state that there are no people matching her name on the site.

Just a bit confused with what is going on!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Rachelle

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2009 03:55

Rachell

I don't think that there has ever been matching Hot Matches, if you know what I mean.

I never seem to get contacted by people who are Hot Matched with me, even when we have many names in common.

Of course ....... for the last year or so, most of the Hot Matches are being matched with me because I passed the information on :))))))))))

as a result, I never contact them, and they just might be doing the same with me.

sylvia

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 3 Sep 2009 04:18

Hi Sylvia,

I do still check my Hot Matches even though a lot seem to be matches I have previously deleted as not matches at all, it just seems to have been a bit odd that people match with me but not the other way around.

I wish the Hot Matches showed you the names up front rather than having to open each Hot Match as that can take forever if the site is running slowly!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Sep 2009 08:54

First of all, as Sylvia says, Hot Matches are not reciprocal between members. The program takes the next 100 of your names and looks for matches. If it finds any, it adds them to your HotMatch list. They are not added to the other persons list at this point. You can't delete Hotmatches either, only place them in your discarded list.

When it gets round to the other member, it takes the next 100 of their names and does the same thing. These could be completely different names to the ones checked for your tree, or some may be the same, in which case the latter only will be added to their list.

So, it is possible for they list fore you to have a different number to your list for them, or even none at all.

Secondly, are you certain that the person contacting you is as a result of Hotmatches? I do most of my searching manually and may often contact another member with several matching names, before HotMatching has even looked at them? For most Hotmatches I get I've already been in touch with the person concerned.

Thirdly I don't fully understand your second point. What exactly is 'their display box', how are you able to click on it if it not yours, and what is the message you are referring to?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Sep 2009 10:12

I wouldn't say they are a total waste of time - I get the odd lead from time to time, although I do most of my searching manually.

As you know pob isn't matched and this is probably the single biggest cause of complaint, but as explained several times it isn't that easy to do without missing good matches because of the variance in spellings.

I believe that New will appear against a member who has previously matches names with you, whenever additional names are matched for that member. You will also get new matches if you or another member uploads a fresh gedcom. I did one last week and all mine are showing as new. In fact up loading a new tree is a good way of clearing them out as the system starts matching again from scratch.

Uploading gedcoms is also the main reason why you see mismatched names too, because the Hotmatch index is now pointing to a different name in the other members tree. It sorts itself out next time matching is run.

Horses for courses - especially for more unusual names.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Sep 2009 11:01

I don't think the 'New' thing is necessarily driven by either of you adding new members to your tree, it reappears when Hotmatches adds another name to the list. Remember it only matches 100 of your names each time it runs, so it can take months before all possible matches with another member have been processed.

For example another member shares several hundreds of names with myself, but as a result of me uploading a new tree a few weeks ago, only 21 currently appear in Hotmatches. There is no "New" showing at the moment as no names were added on the Hotmatch run this week. Next time, perhaps the 21 might increase to 30, in which case I expect to see a 'New' re-appear against her name.

That's my take, based on what I have observed happening with my matches.

This is what GR say on the subject of matching place names.

At the moment we just match the name and year of birth. However, we may make changes to the way system works in the future and add in the place of birth as a match. The problem is that members add the place in different way, or it can be mis-spelt. Some might add the town, others the full address. This makes it difficult to match. By keeping the search broad we feel you have a greater chance of a match.

If you'd prefer a closer match then we suggest you either look at the matches we suggest against your tree. You'll see matches in a drop-down box when viewing your tree. There is also the My Tree Matches page which matches the surnames in your tree.

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 6 Sep 2009 23:54

Thnak you for your replies, however it is difficult to understand them when every second posr seems to be deleted.

Hawkwind the second point I was referring to is the dispaly box in the actual tree where it informs you that there are tree matches or record matches. My point was that when it tells you that there are so many tree matches and you click on it, when it performs the search results state that there are no matches.

Secondly I can only go by what the person is advising me that they have hot matches with me. I have a large number of common names both given and surnames and so generally there are too many possible matches to search every single time for, although I have done this on occasions and always check via this method first.

Thanks for your reply anyway.