Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mgtjwl

Mgtjwl Report 4 Sep 2009 14:59

Could you please help, I have found on the LDS site
In the international Genealogical Index
The person I am Searching for , but I know that some are put in by individuals. How do I know if I am looking at an official record
Mgtjwl

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 4 Sep 2009 15:04

A submitted recorded will state submitted, a transcribed record will be stated as extracted.
However, even an extracted record as it is a transcription could contain errors. Use the IGI as a guide and try and view the records yourself.
Also extracted records will have a batch number.

Mgtjwl

Mgtjwl Report 4 Sep 2009 15:12

Transcribed Are you saying that this was taken from , lets say church records then Keith

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 4 Sep 2009 15:13

Yes that's correct.

Mgtjwl

Mgtjwl Report 4 Sep 2009 15:15

thank you Keith XX

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Sep 2009 04:07

Extracted records usually have a source # listed under the "message" saying its extracted. Click on that source# and drill down to see where it was extracted from.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 5 Sep 2009 06:35

It does not mean that submitted records are unreliable.Some could be okay.
Records submitted after 1837 registration are possibly those where the submitter has bought the relevant certs.
Sometimes submitters leave their names and addresses under pedigree resource file