Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Institutions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 4 Sep 2009 18:16

May I ask for advice, suggestions or any other form of help with the following......
BERTHA WALSH (my mother), apparently born in 1895......
On the 1911 census I found a Bertha Walsh, born 1895 in Manchester, who was in an Institution in Middlesbrough.... (Now I understand that she was in a 'home' in her early life) so that connects. Also the Middlesbrough area (North Ormesby) has a connection because that was where my father was born.....
However, the only Bertha Walsh I could find on any other census was the 1901, but this time her DOB was 1897 and she lived in Manchester........... These could be the same Bertha Walsh ????
Secondly, I understand that she was employed as a Nursery Maid in the Stokesley area at 'Kildale Hall, Roesbury Topping, Cleveland Hicks... This is also close to Middlesbrough and North Ormesby........
In 1919 she married my father in Shildon, County Durham, also close to North Ormesby...
After all that, what I am trying to find is..
1. what happened to the Berth walsh, born in Manchester in 1897.
2. How does one find out when she actualy left the Institution after 1911..(She wasn't there in 1901)..
3. Is there any way in finding out where she would have been during the years 1911 - 1918.. eg electoral registrations...
Note: I assume that had she been employed at Kildale Hall, then that would have been her 'dwelling place' - don't know !
Sadly no records from Kildale Hall......... Any suggestions, John

John

John Report 4 Sep 2009 18:39

Cheers Jonesey, this 'bertha' of mine would have to be in Institution sometime before 1911 and after 1901... John

John

John Report 4 Sep 2009 18:51

Eric, many thanks for your quick reply and your help.. The only bertha which I found was on the 1911 census stating that she was in an Institution and that she was born in Manchester, after that, I just came across a Bertha walsh Born in manchester in 1897, and tried to put them together....
On her marrieage certificate in 1919, she put down as next of kin as father "Edward Walsh" deceased.. But if she had been placed in a Intitution at such an early age, this may have been a 'put up' name by Bertha as she may not have known her fathers real name..
But something must have happened for her to be placed in an Istitution for 'Poor People'....
Doing a bit of research, children were put on the streets, if the parents couldn't cope in one way or another, and on many ocassions children were picked up in one county and placed into an Institution in another, which doesn't help.... Now if John Walsh and his wife May A had died then that may have been the reason for Bertha's long trip to 'Boro.....
Many thanks Eric, your help is really well apppreciated... John

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 4 Sep 2009 20:14

John...Dont know if these are any relation to Bertha Walsh but may be the connection to Kildale...

1910 Alex.WELSH..Gamekeeper and Shephard ...Kildale Hall
1920.Ken.Welsh..NFC Secretary and Goalkeeper ...Kildale FC
1940.Ronald Welsh...Gamekeeper and Forester...Kildale Hall

John

John Report 4 Sep 2009 20:32

Cheers for that info Erin, will certainly check up on the names... John

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 4 Sep 2009 21:24

Looks like John & Mary were around in 1911. This couple were both born in Ardwick as in 1901.

WALSH JOHN M 1864 47 Prestwich Lancashire
HOUSEHOLD WALSH MARY ANN F 1864 47 Prestwich Lancashire

and at least these 3 are with them, maybe more since 1901.

WALSH MATTHEW M 1895 16 Prestwich Lancashire
WALSH BERTHA F 1897 14 Prestwich Lancashire
WALSH ARTHUR M 1900 11 Prestwich Lancashire

John

John Report 4 Sep 2009 21:31

Cheers Ozibird, I guess that 'deletes' that Bertha Walsh... John

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 4 Sep 2009 21:39

I'm assuming you've seen the image for 1911. Did you see this girl also? Is she any connection?

INSTITUTION WALSH WINIFRED F 1897 14 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding

John

John Report 5 Sep 2009 08:23

No ozibird i Didn't see that one - many thanks for that. Something well worth loking into...... Cheers John