Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Ancestry screen problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 4 Sep 2009 21:36

Hi all,

With the new screen, how do I check out the description of a registration district, i.e. what it covers. For example, in 1851 I find a relly in Tideswell, District 15. At the top of the page is something that is similar to what used to be there, i.e. Tideswell. I imagined I could click on it and it would give me a list of districts and I would be able to see what District 15 covered.

Nothing happens when I click on Tideswell.

Any advice please?

Margaret

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Sep 2009 21:45

When you have 1851 census showing - scroll down below the search boxes - select County and then town - you should get all the ED of that area - click on one or more to check the ED sheet

Or when viewing an image you will see above it
Derbyshire > Tideswell > District 19a > Page 1
Click on District 19a - a box appears and then click on view description of ED sheet

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Sep 2009 21:46

hmmmm

I've just tried this with an image that I was looking up for someone.

The image was for District 7 in Ripon

I looked above the census image to almost the top of my screen, and there was xxxxxxxxx Yorkshire Ripon 7

Both Yorkshire and Ripon were underlined

I clicked on Ripon, and was taken to another page where all the districts are listed

I clicked on a number (underlined) ... and up all the census pages in that district

But not a description of the district.

Are you sure you were clicking on the correct palce ........... ie, not on the image, but on your screen.

I think whatever you click on has to be underlined for there to be anyhting to see

sylvia

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 4 Sep 2009 21:52

When I click on the district link above the image, it opens another small window which then loads all the districts. I scroll down to the district number I want and click. Hey presto up comes the description.

I have found, even with the old format, you sometimes get a census page and not the description. I assume that the paperwork was lost for that one.

Ozi.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 5 Sep 2009 21:22

Friends, I am getting nothing.

Example. Robert Brighmore b 1831, Derbyshire. First item on Ancestry is the census for 1891. Tideswell District 16. I click on that - nothing. I try Tideswell - nothing. Derbyshire - nothing. They are all underlined.

Would somebody please try it with Robert and let me know what you get?

Thanks

Margaret

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Sep 2009 21:35

According to Genuki Tideswell came under Bakewell from 1839 to 1974

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 5 Sep 2009 21:44

When I click on District 16 the new little window with all districts comes up. Do you want me to send you an image? Or just tell me what you're hoping for & I'll see if it's there.

I wonder if your browser is blocking a pop-up?

Ozi.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 5 Sep 2009 21:48

Ann, I know that, thanks, but it doesn't help me to pull up descriptions.

Yes please Ozi, send my what you can.

Thanks

Margaret

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 5 Sep 2009 21:53

Margaret

Just tried with the name you suggested on the 1891 census, when i view the original page, and click on any of those underlined IE , Tideswell, Derbyshire i get all the information.of the enumeration districts etc etc.
Clicking on any of them i get the info so i dont know what your problem would be.

Not much help i know

George

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 5 Sep 2009 21:55

Hi George

Thanks for having a go. It just doesn't work for me. Am I blocking something do you think?

Margaret

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 5 Sep 2009 21:59

Margaret

I can only suggest you turn off your pop up blocker whilst you are viewing these records, and see if that works, i am not computer savvy so im only guessing.

George

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 5 Sep 2009 23:40

I have discovered that if I go back to the Ancestry search screen and search again, pull up the census record and click on the district - it works! But I can only do it once. If I want to look again, I have to go back to the main screen and start again. Odd.

Incidentally, do you all use the Enhanced Viewer that Ancestry offers - cos I can't get that to work either.

Best wishes

Margaret