Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Carl Wilhelm Gran

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 5 Sep 2009 12:14

My husband's gr grandfather was born in Hortem Norway abt 1871.
I am struck. How can I find when and how he came to England. He married an Alice Summerfield 1895 and starts to appear in 1901 and 1911 census but died in Hackney 1916

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 5 Sep 2009 14:27

You could ask for a look up for passenger lists, I think Ancestry and Findmypast both have these........ though not sure if they have inbound as well as outbound.

Have you seen the Canadian 1881 Census?...free at www.familysearch.org

there are a few Gran families from Norway on there, do you have his parents names? Can you trace them here prior to Carls 1895 marriage?

Nicky

EDIT... Theres a public tree on Ancestry...owner d30mac......with Carl Wilhelm Gran in it, i cant access as Ancestry sub has run out.

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 5 Sep 2009 14:29

you could try this website for info on how to search Norwegian ancestors

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wgnorway/

Pamela

Pamela Report 5 Sep 2009 14:50

Hello Nickydownsouth and Helen in Bucks,

Thanks for your relpies.

1. I don't know the names of his parents........I was hoping to find out if they came as a family or him on his own. There were a few Gran's living in the Hackhey area at the time but they all have more English first names. Also Gran can be a name from Finland, Germany, Sweden and even Poland..........think of Maurice Gran the comedy writer.
2. I have not seen the 1881 Candian census..........but I know that alot of Gran's went there and America. Will have a look.
3. I did get on to a Norwegian website that gave name of passengers sailing from Olso (Hortem is near there) from 1868 but it went on and on and on...............never got past 1867 and that w as after about an hour !!!!!!
4. Thanks Helen will now try the website you have suggested.

Many thanks to you both....................will let you know how I get on.
Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 5 Sep 2009 14:58

Hi Nick downsouth,

Just seen the bit about the tree on Ancestry.............don't worry d30mac is a cousin of my husbands through the Summerfield family..it was him that started me trying to find out more about Carl !!!!!

I also "am downsouth"

Regards,
Pam