Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth marrage deaths certs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 5 Sep 2009 14:34

hi folks i sorry if i sound a fool but i have just started how do i view or get a copy of birth marrage or death certs cheers thanks in advance

Potty

Potty Report 5 Sep 2009 14:40

The only way you see any cert is by buying it. You can buy certs from this site: www.direct.gov.uk/gro

If you know the year, quarter, district, vol no and page no it will cost £7. To find those details, you will need to search the GRO registers. You can do that (from Sep qtr 1837 up to about late 1930s) free on this site: www.freebmd.org.uk/

For anything after that you can search on Ancestry which is a subcription site.

If you need any help searching, post some details and somebody will help you

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Sep 2009 15:06

Unfortunately this is an expensive "hobby"and most certs have to be bought at £7 each. Some counties do have online records that save buying a cert but these are not the norm

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Sep 2009 15:10

James, most people are selective with ordering certs as the cost does mount up. If you are lucky enough to find people researching the same family you can spread the cost as I have! You can find out quite a bit from looking for births and marriages on freebmd, then looking at census reports (or asking folks on here to do so). Unusual names help of course! Certs do become necessary at some point though.
Jan

Janice

Janice Report 5 Sep 2009 19:14

Some counties have the certs online, so you can find baptisms (not births), marriages and burials there.

For Medway towns in Kent see the Cityark site.

There are Essex parish registers online too.

James

James Report 5 Sep 2009 20:40

thanks to all great help sure i will be asking for more help cheers