Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scotlands people

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 5 Sep 2009 15:15

Yesterday I did a search on SP for a birth. The results came up without showing the names of the parents. Now I KNOW that I used to get the results with the names of the parents then I could choose the right one and therefore pay to see the image.

Does anyone know when this changed or am I now doing something wrong.

Just dashing off to make OH a cuppa back in5 mins

Thanks
Pat

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 5 Sep 2009 17:36

Hi Pat,

I think you will find the parent's names are only shown on OPR (Old Parish Registers) Birth searches 1538-1854, which certainly makes life easier.

1 29/04/1832 HUNTER GEORGE FRANCIS HUNTER/ELIZA CHERRY FR645 M Girvan /AYR

Birth searches 1855-2006 don't give parent's details so you would have to narrow your search down using census results or bite the bullet and risk a few wrong results.

I've gone back through my results to early 2005 and it would not appear to have changed from then on.

1 1905 HUNTER AGNES F GORBALS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 5 Sep 2009 17:44

Thanks Frank that explains it then although it can cost more looking for the one you want.

Pat

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Sep 2009 14:07

There is some coverage on the IGI for 1855-1875 under batch #s of the form c11xxxN where xxx is the parish # and N=1 or 3. E.g., Peterhead is parish 232, so theirs is under C112321 - they didn't split the births into an early and later batch there.

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 6 Sep 2009 16:32

Useful info mgnv Thank you