Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed tracing grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tony

Tony Report 5 Sep 2009 21:37

Arthur Hayward born 1877 at Hankerton, Wiltshire was my grandfaher. In 1921 he deserted his family following the death of his wife and his children never knew what became of him, although around 1940 he made a very brief appearance but none of his children wanted anything to do with him and he disappeared again. I have found the marriage of an Arthur Hayward in 1941 at Birmingham to an Annie Smith, the details on their marriage certificate suggest that this Arthur could well
be my missing grandfather (his age, a widower and his fathers name all fit). I have found his death in 1955 - again his age suggests it could be my Arthur - 69 Nursery Road, Harborne, Birmingham - where he lived with Annie.
I know nothing about his 'new wife' .
Can anyone advise me of possible ways that I could identify if this Arthur is the same person as my grandfather. I seem to have come up against the proverbial brick wall in this quest.
Tony

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Sep 2009 21:53

I wonder if there may be relatives of Annie who might be able to help? It would be a good idea to check her age, whether she was married before, and any witnesses to their marriage, in case they are related.
(In passing, I drive up Nursery Road regularly!!)
Jan

Tony

Tony Report 5 Sep 2009 22:07

Hi Janet
Thanks for the reply, Annie Smith was a spinster according to the marriage certificate and unfortunately the 2 witnesses to the marriage mean nothing to us. I have been unable to trace any relatives of Annie.
Tony

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Sep 2009 22:13

Tell you what. I'm going to the library in birmingham on weds to look at electoral registers. Do you want me to have a look at this address on the off-chance that there are others living there?
Jan

Tony

Tony Report 5 Sep 2009 22:35

Hi Janet

Thanks very much for the offer and if not too much trouble will gratefully accept.

Additional information I have from the marriage certificate is that Arthur Hayward was living at 25 Bull Street, Harborne, Birmingham at the time of his marriage to Annie in 1941 and she was already living at 69 Nursery Road. Witnesses to the marriage were a John and Elsie Baynam
Tony

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Sep 2009 22:39

Will do my best!
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Sep 2009 17:20

Hi Tony.

Well, just got back from B'ham library. Not a great deal to report, but there is one interesting thing.
Firstly, bear in mind that there are no electoral registers1939-45.
I id a random check in 1947, and indeed Artheur and annie are ar Nursery Road.
There is no sign of him at Bull St before the war.
Annie Smith is living at Nursery Rd. 1920-1934. ( I checked 1920, 22, 24 and 34).

Now the interesting bit!! In 1920 and 1934 Annie is the only person of voting age living there. You do not say her age, but she must have been over 30 in 1920. However, in 1922 and 1924 John Gordon Baynam is also living there! I wonder who he was? Possibly a lodger I suppose, but also might be a relative.

If you decide to pursue the idea of Annie's family, she might be possible to find on 1911 census with a bit of luck. Do you know her father's name from marriage cert?

Jan

In 1922 and 1924

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Sep 2009 17:34

Hereis John's birth and marriage:

Births Mar 1895
Baynam John Gordon King's N. 6c 422

Marriages Sep 1917

Baynam John Cooper Guildford 2a 274
Cooper Elsie Baynam Guildford 2a 274

Interesting that he married in Croyden. I assume that Elsie was living at Nursery Rd too but too young to appear on electoral register.

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Sep 2009 18:01

Just thought. What an idiot. I should have looked to see how long Alfred lived at Nursery Road. He was already 70 by 1947 so it would have indicated when he died. Not sure how much the death cert would tell you but it's all info worth having.
If you have ancestry you could trawl through the death records - too tired myself!!

Jan

Tony

Tony Report 9 Sep 2009 18:54

Hi Janet
Thanks for taking the time to follow this up and provide the information. I will certainly follow all this up.
Tony