Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

War Record Information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Middy

Middy Report 6 Sep 2009 12:33

Hi everyone

I have just found my great Uncle on a War Memorial Tablet in 1914 - so very proud, but also very sad to see.

I would be really grateful of some help if anybody wouldn't mind, I have found another relative but have two deaths showing in WW2 for Charles R. Faulkner - one in 1943 for the Army and one for 1945 for the RAF - unfortunately neither of the records give a date of birth.

I know he was born in O/N/D 1910 Lambeth, and married Edith C. Ing in 1940 in Lambeth.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can find out the DOB for either of the deaths

Many thanks for your advice/help

Hazel xx

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2009 12:45

In 1911 Charles Robson Faulkner is in Norfolk with parents Richard and Florrie Ethel.

Charles Richard Faulkner is the son of William and Rebecca (from CWGC) so that should tell you which one is yours.

Irene

Irene Report 6 Sep 2009 12:46

I do not think you will find the date of birth without buying a copy of the birth certificate.
In the 1911 census he is living at Lambeth and is 6 months old and that census was taken Sunday 02.04.1911. Irene

Middy

Middy Report 6 Sep 2009 12:50

Hi Irene & Janice

Thanks, the WW2 records don't give a date of birth for either of the Charles R. Faulkner - either Army or RAF or age he was when he died, so I don't suppose there is any way of knowing, because even if I get a b/c I still won't know.

Many thanks

Hazel xx

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2009 13:08

If you know it's the Lambeth birth:

Births Dec 1910
FAULKNER Charles R Lambeth 1d 297

then buy the cert from

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

(cost £7)

then you'll have his full name and dob, and you'll know whether it's Richard/Robson and therefore Army/RAF. CWGC gives date of death.

1 FAULKNER , CHARLES RICHARD Fusilier 5502981 Died 14/12/1943 26 Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) United Kingdom XI. D. 33. SANGRO RIVER WAR CEMETERY

2 FAULKNER , CHARLES ROBSON Flying Officer 178519 Died 12/09/1944 Unknown Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve United Kingdom Coll. grave 8. D. 6-10. RHEINBERG WAR CEMETERY

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2009 13:13

Just realised from the arithmetic !!!!!

Charles Richard was 26 when he died so that doesn't fit with a dob of 1910.

Yours must be the Charles Robson.

The birth cert will confirm it.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 6 Sep 2009 13:14

Hazel

The Cwgc site gives Charles Richard Faulkner as being 26 when he died 0n th 14 December 1943, so he was born in 1917

That ties in with the birth record on freebmd

Births Sep 1917 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulkner Charles R Brain Greenwich 1d 1367

His mothers maiden name on this record was Brain
George

Middy

Middy Report 6 Sep 2009 13:55

Hi everyone - many many thanks

I think that I will have to get the marriage cert for Charles and Edith to confirm his middle name and then I will know which one to persue.

Thanks again for all your help (wish the marriages would sometime confirm the middle names though it would make it so much easier!)

Thanks
xxx

Janice

Janice Report 6 Sep 2009 14:00

Hazel,

If you KNOW he was born in 1910 what's the problem? Buy the birth cert then you'll have his date of birth - which is what you seem to want. It won't be on the marriage cert and you already know who he married.

The dates don't work for Charles Richard, so it has to be Charles robson.