Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

illiterate or another reason

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

yellowpenguin56

yellowpenguin56 Report 6 Sep 2009 14:25

Would anyone know why someone would put a cross by their name as a signature. I have two certificates for the same person who obviously cant sign their name. My puzzle is that she comes from a family who I would presume are well educated as her father is an excise officer. any tips for taking this further ? Thanks

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 6 Sep 2009 14:56

It is usually assumed to mean the person could not write, therefore made their "mark"

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 6 Sep 2009 16:12

I have marriage details for 5 generations of one family. There is nothing to suggest the first 4 generations were illiterate, but the parish record for the last marriage, in 1869, has a cross for the groom. Hope he was simply too nervous to write, I know I could barely sign the register.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Sep 2009 19:42

We have a Will of someone who signed with a cross X, although we have seen his signature on earlier certificates etc.
Beside the cross on his Will, 2 witnesses have signed to say that he made his mark after it was read out to him and that he appeared to properly understand it.
He was blind by this time.

Gwyn