Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CAINES IN NORTHERN IRELAND - HELP PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 6 Sep 2009 15:06

Hello All. I am really hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am trying to trace my mum's family. Her grand father was called George Caines and I believe he was English (Devon?) Born around 1868. He married Rebecca. He was in the Army poss 11th Regiment/Devonshire and served overseas (Malta/Egypt). I believe my grandfather Arthur was born in Malta 1910- and a great aunt was born in Cairo few years either side. I can't find any records to validate info. Can anyone help please

Joy

Joy Report 6 Sep 2009 15:44

Have you looked for him in the 1881 census?

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp

Potty

Potty Report 6 Sep 2009 15:46

Do you know when and where he married Rebecca? What was her maiden name?

Christine

Christine Report 6 Sep 2009 15:55

Rebecca's maiden name I think was Mitchell, Regret do not know date of marriage but she was Irish. There is a tentative link to a place called Cavan in what was Ulster at that time. Also believe great uncle Samuel may have been borm in Cairo.
Have been thhrough family search - confirmed an Arthur was born Malta and Christopher born Cavan (brothers)

songbird02

songbird02 Report 8 Sep 2009 01:33

There is a marriage registered for a George Cains Armagh 1898 Jul-Sept Volume 1 page 53 and a Marriage for Rebecca Mitchell with the same details. This could possibly be your marriage.

Details taken from here http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

Christine

Christine Report 8 Sep 2009 08:12

Hi Sonbird thankyou for the tip. It seems likely that this could be the ones I'm looking for. Could you advise how a get c copy of the certificate please. I am very nw to this

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 8 Sep 2009 08:40

Christine
You can get Irish Certs from:
Civil Registration Office
Office of the Registrar General
Roscommon
Ireland
Tel: +353 (0) 90 6632900 +353 (0) 90 6632900
fax: +353 (0) 90 6632999

You need the persons name as per the family search site, district ie Cork plus the volume number and the page
They don't take orders over the phone - I send a fax with my ccard details.
The cost is €4 for a photocopy of the certificate.
MB

Christine

Christine Report 10 Sep 2009 17:29

Can't thank you enough for your help
xxxxx