Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 9 Sep 2009 12:40

Can any one help me ,how can I get a birth certificate of my gt grandfather ,I know where and the year he was born but not the name of either of his parents other than their surname ,as he was born in a different county to where I live is there any way I could order one online .Any help would be much appreciated . susan

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 9 Sep 2009 12:50

England & Wales certs are bought online through www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates
Don't pay more than £7.

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 9 Sep 2009 13:04

Susan

if you go to www.freebmd.org.uk you should be able to find the reference for you gt grandfather's birth

you will need

the year
the quarter e.g. Mar or Jun or Sep or Dec
the district
the colume e.g. 3a or 4b
and the page number

with this information you can then order the cert from the GRO as per previous post

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Sep 2009 13:08

When ordering online, don't forget to tick the box to say that the full GRO reference is known, ...otherwise the cost is more.
Do you want help to find the correct entry of birth ?

Gwyn

Susan

Susan Report 9 Sep 2009 18:46

Thank you Gwyn ,all I know is my gt grandfathers name was James J Glynn born in bloxwich dudley staffordshire in 1869,I do not have his marriage certificate ,I thought it would be easier to try to get his birth certificate to find out his parents names and where they came from susan

Barbara

Barbara Report 9 Sep 2009 19:00

Poss?
Jun 1868 (>99%)
GLYNN James Dudley 6c 153

Searching the census for 1871 and 1881 there a a couple of possibles for him living with his parents and siblings.

Thelma

Thelma Report 9 Sep 2009 19:41

If you are going the certificate route then I am surprised that you don't know his full name.
marriage
James Joseph Glynn 1890 Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire
His birth may not be registered.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
His daughter's birth.
Cecilia Beatrice Glynn 1891 Jan-Feb-Mar Staffordshire

Thelma

Thelma Report 9 Sep 2009 19:49

1871 England Census
about James Glynn
Name: James Glynn
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868
Relation: Son
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Jane
Where born: Dudley
Civil parish: Dudley
Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas
County/Island: Worcestershire
Registration district: Dudley
Sub-registration district: Dudley
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Household schedule number: 27
Household Members: Name Age
John Glynn 45
Jane Glynn 36
John Glynn 11
Mary Glynn 7
Jane Glynn 5
James Glynn 3
Thomas Glynn 6 months
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James Glyme
[James Glynn] John,
Jane abt 1869 Dudley, Worcestershire, England Son Dudley, Worcestershire

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Sep 2009 19:51

I'd be tempted to get his marriage cert to make sure you have the right man - better to spend that extra £7 than go on the wrong track.
Jan

Susan

Susan Report 9 Sep 2009 20:08

Thank you everyone cant believe there are so many nice people out there willing to help .And Janet think I will try and get the marriage certificate first ,Iam new to this so all your help has been gratefully recieved thank you all susan