Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Streets 1909

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 9 Sep 2009 20:48

Does anyone know where I will be able to find out where an old street was (no longer exists), the address I am looking for is 4 Back Paradise Place, Middlesbrough.

Thank you

Angela

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 9 Sep 2009 21:53

hi there,
try the local library, they usually hold old street maps. Also the local archive are good.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 9 Sep 2009 22:42

I have old maps for Middlesbrough dating back to 1600s. I will see if I can find it and add the info for you.

I must admit I have never heard of Back Paradise Place. Perhaps it means the back of Paradise Place

Sorry Angela. the maps are too difficult to read. The streets are too small in areas
They are put out by Cleveland and Teesside Local History Society. Perhaps you can contact them and see if they know where paradise place is.

Have you found your relative on the 1911 census . Can you give details so I can take a look . It might give the enumerators district which will help to locate the place

Angela

Angela Report 10 Sep 2009 19:56

I have found them on the 1911 census but they are not listed as living at that address, they were not educated people and lived in rented premises, they are not at the same address on any of the census or births/death certificate, they were and often listed as living in the workhouses in the area, I live in Middlesbrough and have never heard of this address and neither have elderly relatives, this is listed as the address on a death certificate of a child. I know most of the addresses tended to be in the St Hildas district.

Thank you for your help and I will contact the History society to see if they can help.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 10 Sep 2009 20:46

Hi Angela.
Because you gave me a possible location for Paradise Place I checked the St Hilda's area and found it.
Its only an Ordinance Survey map of 1853 so not as detailed

Lower East street is to the North.Lower Faversham St to the South and Cleveland St to the West. .Grey St to the East.Directly next to Paradise Place it is James Place. Many of the area's in St Hilda's are called places.

Incase you are interested I bought the set of 17 maps with a booklet explaining the maps in 2000 from Waterstones for 5pound 50. Great value really. One in 1730 showing the Acklam estate has plots of land with little houses and at the bottom it tells you who was living there. Names such as widow Smith and widow Robson