Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 access

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Sep 2009 21:40

Has anyone tried the 1911 site at the various places it can now be accessed? I live in Birmingham and hope to be able to do this in October, but I believe it may already be posssible elsewhere, and am wondering how people are getting on with it..
Jan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Sep 2009 22:14

I read somewhere that you only get 40 minutes on it ............... and I think someone said that you had to "book" the time.

Has no effect for me ...... they're never likely to open a place over here!!!!

Anyway, I like the luxury of looking things up whenever I have the time, even if it is 11pm at night (or 7am UK time!!).

sylvia

Joy

Joy Report 9 Sep 2009 22:19

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/337.htm?WT.hp=nf-37818
28 July 2009
Thousands of people across England and Wales will soon get the opportunity to delve into their family history online for free.
The seven institutions soon to launch free access to the census records are:

Birmingham Archives & Heritage
Devon Record Office (Exeter)
The National Library of Wales (Aberystwyth)
Manchester Archives and Local Studies and Greater Manchester County Record Office (sharing one institutional account)
Norfolk Record Office
Nottinghamshire Archives
Tyne and Wear Archives
Before planning a trip, visitors are urged to contact the relevant institution to find out the when the service will be available.

London and the South East continue to be served by the free access available at The National Archives, Kew.

Julie

Julie Report 9 Sep 2009 22:24

I went to Kew not long ago & had a field day lol

Didn't have to book nor was there a time limit

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Sep 2009 17:14

Thanks all. Maybe it's still just Kew then.. Think I might start camping outside the Birmingham Central Library ...
Jan