Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh the frustration

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 10 Sep 2009 10:28

Researching a common name is a real problem but have managed all relevant census bar one... 1871.

JOHN & MARY ROBERTS

Mary was born in Kirkby Lancs in 1851

On their marriage cert of 1868 John was of full age . born in Liverpool

They would have had a daughter, Mary Ellen by the time of the 1871 census

I think John`s occupation would have been "Carter"

Any help much appreciated

Kathlyn

LindaMcD

LindaMcD Report 10 Sep 2009 10:34

Where have you found them in the other census?

Still Lancashire?

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 10 Sep 2009 10:43

Yes Linda,

In 1881 John is missing, presumed dead, but Mary is living with her two sons, John, 1874 and William 1976, and she has a lodger, George Massie at 11 Minshull Street number 2 court Liverpool.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 10 Sep 2009 10:54

In 1881 Mary is still married a general labourers wife

LindaMcD

LindaMcD Report 10 Sep 2009 11:02

Just checked all of Lancashire and can't find them!

Maybe they went over the Mersey and are in Cheshire like most of mine did. Then some went back!

Linda

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 10 Sep 2009 11:36

Hi Linda,

Mary is on the 1881 census as being married, so assumed that John was away at that time. Still can`t find him though.

In 1891, mary is living with George Massie as his wife and young John and William as stepsons. (Mary and George did not marry untill 1894)

From all my family knowledge and internet info, Mary never left Liverpool other than to move to Bootle a few miles away, and I have her movements right up to the 1911 census, including her marrying for the 3rd time.

Common names are such a nightmare, and if only I had asked questions of grandad whilst he was still alive.

Kathlyn