Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any suggestions ??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 10 Sep 2009 17:34

How would you go about trying to find information on someone who was in an Institute (for poor children).... Not there in the 1901 census, but there in the 1911 census as a 16 year old. During those five years how would you go about seeking info on that person, as to when that person was placed in the 'home' , why was she, or any other info of interest..... "Sick as a parrot now" after trying for years.......John

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 10 Sep 2009 17:38

you could try www.workhouses.org

or the national archives website under access to archives, search for the institution and you may find out where any surviving records are held, sometimes admissions books etc are available

AllanC

AllanC Report 10 Sep 2009 17:47

A possible line of enquiry (I presume you mean 10 years (1901-1911) not five:

Can you find any 6-year-olds with that name in families anywhere in the 1901 census? If there are lots of them then try some of those in the same area as the institution first. It could give you some possible names for one or both parents. Then try FreeBMD for deaths of those names between 1901 and 1911. And for births for the child, to see if there's a match to the possible parents (you need to buy certificates for that, so you have to be pretty sure you're on the right track).

But it could be a long haul with plenty of false leads.

John

John Report 10 Sep 2009 17:58

Hi Helen - I've tried the "workhouse' site, but not much for me on there.. The National Archives website, could be a shot at.... Many thanks for your advice Helen.............John

John

John Report 10 Sep 2009 18:03

Hi AllanC - yes I stand corrected it would have bee ten years... I did find a name as I said on the 1911 census - checked that and there were 1000s,
Next tried her next of kin, Father, again, 1000's nearly all in the same area.... Many thanks Allan for your help, very much appreciated.. John

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 11 Sep 2009 22:00

Thousands of names, John, are you sure? Can you not narrow it down in some way, using place of birth, relatives etc.?

What was the institution she was in in 1911, and her name?

Margaret

John

John Report 12 Sep 2009 12:06

Hi Margaret, going a 'bit daft' with the 1000s of names.... But it certainly seems like it at times......
The Institute that she was in was in Middlesbrough, not certain about name, but it was for "Poor children etc"......
Name... Bertha Walsh... Born...1895, but not certain..... Father...Edward, (stated on marriage certifcate as 'deceased'......
On the 1911 census she was down as born 1895, born in Manchester..
This was in the Institution.....
She did put her name down on the marriage cert, as Bertha Elizabeth.....
No one by that name....
As I said Margaret there are lots of Bertha Walsh's out there with fathers as Edward, but finding the right one is a real headache.......
No sign of a mother for Bertha....
Did come across a Winifred Walsh born 1897 also in an Institute in Middlesboro'.but she was born in a different area to Bertha.....
And that Margaret is the only info I have prior to 1919 (when she was married).................... Many thanks... John

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 12 Sep 2009 13:46

Have you googled Middlesbrough Workhouse.

Photo's and information on there. Also Teesside Archives have admission and discharge records

John

John Report 12 Sep 2009 14:06

Hi SomersetGirl - just "Deceased"... which makes me wonder, seeing that she was in Institution at an early age, whether she knew her father's name, or was it just a 'made up' one.... Regards, John

John

John Report 12 Sep 2009 14:31

Hi Quinsgran - just to been to that site - quite good.... If that "Poor Law Union: Institution, St.Barnabas Road Workhouse was the only one in the Middlesbrough area, then it has to be that one..... Can't see anymore....
Many Thanks..... John....

AllanC

AllanC Report 12 Sep 2009 17:22

I don't think it was uncommon at one time for witnesses to a marriage to be unrelated (or apparently unrelated) to the couple. There could be a number of reasons - marriage not approved of by parents, marrying without consent, family too far away, etc. I have a number of certificates where the witnesses names are not family names - although some could be married sisters whose history I've not followed up yet.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 12 Sep 2009 20:11

Don't forget, weddings weren't the big thing they are nowadays. If your relations were working 6 days a week they'd loose a days pay to go to a wedding and possibly their job.

A friends parents married in the early 50's. they took the afternoon off work, got hitched then went home to their respective parents on the bus. The following day they went back to work as normal. Wasn't until a month or so later that they moved in together (with one set of parents)

John

John Report 12 Sep 2009 20:46

Hi AlanC and Janet - I agree with your comments - But it does seem a bit odd as two members of the same family (all brothers) were married in 1919 (the same Year) and the other in 1920, Yet these had family members as their witnesses.................. John

June

June Report 12 Sep 2009 22:13

have you seen this on family search.org

Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ Pedigree Resource File

Search Results | Print

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bertha Elizabeth Walsh Compact Disc #24 Pin #205103 Pedigree
Sex: F

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event(s)
Birth: abt 1895

Parents

Marriage(s)
Spouse: John Robert Nunn Disc #24 Pin #205100
Marriage: 12 Apr 1919
St. Johns Church, Shildon

June x

John

John Report 13 Sep 2009 09:18

many thanks June for that info - No, I haven't seen this 'family search' - so I'm going to it..... I take it I just go for "Family Search .org" - (Bit green at this ).... Again June, thanks a lot....John

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 13 Sep 2009 09:46

As that record has been submitted by David, perhaps you could contact him and see what information he holds on Bertha.

John

John Report 13 Sep 2009 10:41

Many thanks Janet..................... John