Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone got ideas please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 11 Sep 2009 10:57

I dont need any look-ups, but am in a muddle :-( I have Edward Durden (sometimes as Edwin) born 1885 Northampton. He is not to be found on the census in 1891 or 1901 so Ive concentrated on his siblings. His brother Richard was in army barracks in 1901 and killed in 1914, simple so I thought......but now Ive found a Richard in 1891 and 1901 in Sculcoates, Yorkshire with an aunt and uncle, and a brother Ernest. I thought this was a different Richard as the birthplaces dont even match but another researcher says its 'our' Richard. The parents died years ago and with an army background they aren't on any census that I can find. I cant even find their marriage - although that may have been in Ireland as the mother was Honoria Neligan, an Irish name. I cant see any way forward with all this, but I feel Im overlooking something....dont know what! :-(

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Sep 2009 11:25

Trust your own research.Ask your contact how these can be the same man.
Richard Durden abt 1883 Northants, St Stevens Inmate St Sepulchre, Northamptonshire

Richard Durden abt 1883 Hull, Yorkshire, England Nephew Sculcoates, Yorkshire

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Sep 2009 11:27

HOUSEHOLD DURDEN RICHARD M 1883 28 Hardingstone Northamptonshire

HOUSEHOLD DURDEN RICHARD M 1883 28 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)

RStar

RStar Report 11 Sep 2009 11:30

Oh my Lord! they're not the same man then. I had considered that Richard was in the army barracks in 1901 but the Sculcoates was his home when he was on leave, so the aunt and uncle MAY have put him on the census.....but now seeing that the 1911 entry also has the two Richards, my mind is made up. I had Richard with brother Edward (my ancestor) in Northampton in 1911, hadnt thought to look for a Sculcoates one too. I'll email her and let her know. Thanks Jim!

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Sep 2009 11:30

birth
Richard Durden 1882 Jul-Aug-Sep Yorkshire - East Riding, Humberside

Richard Charles Durden 1883 Jan-Feb-Mar Northamptonshire

RStar

RStar Report 11 Sep 2009 11:40

:-) you're a star.