Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registration districts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cathy

Cathy Report 13 Sep 2009 15:02

Hi, does anyone know which reg distict it will be for someone who was born in Tirphil in 1897?
thanks a lot.
Cathy

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 13 Sep 2009 15:07

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

Worth making a note of this website for English and Welsh registration districts

Tirphil is where ? Wales ?

Cathy

Cathy Report 13 Sep 2009 15:17

Thanks Glitter Baby,
I have that in my favourites but i can't see Tirphil in any of the reg districts on there? Tirphil is in glamorgan.

Cathy

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 13 Sep 2009 15:18

Have you found the person on 1901 census just to see which registration district they are living in

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Sep 2009 15:21

I'm not sure about the registration district but looking at a map Tirphil is in the Rhymney Valley, and Rhymney Valley is a sub-district of Bedwellty Registration District.

UPDATE - just checked the 1901 census just putting Tirphil in as the place of birth with no name, and it does seem to be Bedwellty.

Kath. x

Cathy

Cathy Report 13 Sep 2009 15:25

yes,
I have her in the 1911 census too and it says reg dis is Merthyr Tydfil but when I looked for her birth record in 1897 Q4 and 1898 Q1 there are only 2 Myfanwy Jones that are possibles and 1 is Bedwellty and the other is Pontyprydd districts.

Cathy

Cathy Report 13 Sep 2009 15:29

Thanks Kathleen,
I think you must be right and i'll try the Bedwellty one.
Thanks to you both,

Kind regards Cathy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Sep 2009 15:29

I'd go with the Bedweltty birth. Pontypridd is nowhere near Tirphil.

Kath. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Sep 2009 20:43

Re Kath's posts - just looked at map and Tirphil is just across the Rhymney R from New Tredegar, and Tredegar is also a sub-district in Bedwelty rego D - so although I'ld guess a different sub-district, I'ld go along with the Bedwelty bit.

(Bedwelty was created 1861q3, so look up the death of George ? in Bedwelty thru 1861 - there's 7 of them on FreeBMD: e.g.,

Deaths Sep 1861 (>99%)
Clark George Bedwelty 11a 37

Click on the Bedwelty link, then the more info "here" link to see what villages and townships are in Bedwelty - Tirphil's too small to get listed, though.)

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 14 Sep 2009 02:34

I have someone on my tree who was born in Tirphil in 1928. The reg district for their birth was Merthyr Tydfil. According to Genuki, no changes were made to the Merthyr Tidfil district boundaries between 1863 and 1934, so I guess Tirphil was in Merthyr Tidfil in 1897 too.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/merthyr%20tydfil.html

If you Google TIRPHIL REGISTRATION DISTRICT there are several sites that confirm it was Merthyr Tidfil, sub-district Gelligaer.

Richard