Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption (Sorted thankyou)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 13 Sep 2009 18:33

Hi this is a general question, in particular for a birth and adoption in 1949. Would the person adopted have their original birth certificate once adopted or would they have one that was given on adoption showing dates of birth and location but with adoptees as parents, as in would this person known they had been adopted if not told.
Thank you for any info Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 13 Sep 2009 19:25

Thank you for replying, not sure. When you are given a certificate by your parents and you are adopted does it say you have been adopted or does it look like a birth certificate. Think what I am trying to say is would you know from the certificate that you had been adopted. This is about an enquiry I am doing for my sister for her brother my half brother.

Jeanette

Sheila

Sheila Report 13 Sep 2009 19:30

Hi Jeanette,

Depends whether he had the full version or the short version of the adoption cert.
The short version may sometimes look the same, but it normally say the info is take from the records of the Registrar General in Somerset House.

Sheila

Sheila Report 13 Sep 2009 23:05

Hi Amanda,

The short cert, does not show adoptive parents names, just your adoptive name date of birth etc.

I know of many adoptees who have only found out, by chance they are adopted, applying for passport, finding orig certs after adoptive parents have passed on :O(

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 13 Sep 2009 23:34

many many thanks to all that have replied. This has given me a clearer picture of what an adopted persons birth certificate on adoption would look like.

Will still live in hope for my sister, as my friends cousin traced my friend through an adoption agency and my friend had not left any details with her file when she could have. But still we are reconciled with the idea that he may have had a wonderful life with his adopted family and have no wish to find birth mother/siblings.

Many thanks Jeanette