Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

obtaining hospital records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 14 Sep 2009 12:56

Is it possible to get hospital records for someone who died about 1944? The hospital he was in no longer exists and I was wondering where would the hospital records go to?

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 14 Sep 2009 16:40

You could try contacting the Health Authority for the area, but I think records are only kept for a certain number of years after someone has died.
Liz

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Sep 2009 16:58

I think it depends on what sort of hospital it was. My husband's grandfather died in 1944 in Winterton Hospital which was some sort of asylum or hospital for the mentally ill.

We contacted the County Records Office and they gave us the address for the Health Authority and department we needed to contact. We were told it was up to the Health Authority to decide in each individual case whether or not to release records.

We were lucky that they decided they would release the records and they were fascinating with lots of detail about hubby's grandfather - a description of him, the medication he was given, his progress whilst there and also (the best bit for us) a small photocopy of a photograph of him - something we had never had.

It was well worth the effort.

Kath. x

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 14 Sep 2009 18:47

Try looking for the hospital on access to archives, you may find that'll give details of where the records are (if they still exist)

kay

kay Report 14 Sep 2009 19:05

for later thanks

Marion

Marion Report 15 Sep 2009 18:40

Thanks for all your replies ....