Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a disappointment

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 14 Sep 2009 13:18

What a pity English, Irish and Scottish Certs are not the same.

On my Grandmother's Irish MC, it just says F for age instead of giving her age, and doesn't say who her mother was.

On her English DC, it doesnt give her MS, or say who her parents were, we should be thinking about the family members who will follow us and try and get these certs to contain this basic info, as the Scottish certs do.

What do you think ??.

Regards
Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 14 Sep 2009 14:06

What a pity Joan that DADE method wasnt adopted, it would make things so much easier.

Regards
Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 14 Sep 2009 14:12

I had never heard of this DADE method Joan, but lots of my family are from Yorkshire,, so I hope to come across it, thanks for that bit of info, its something new learned, they say everyday is a school day.

Regards
Sandra

Steve

Steve Report 14 Sep 2009 14:21

Hope this isn't breaking copyright laws - but here is what wikipedia says about Rev Dade ;-) - Steve.
...................................................................................................................................
Dade and Barrington Registers
Dade and Barrington Registers are detailed registers that contain more information than standard baptism and burial registers as required by George Rose’s 1812 Act.

Dade Registers are named after Rev. William Dade, a Yorkshire clergyman (b.1740) who went to St. John's College, Cambridge. From 1763 until his death in 1790, he was curate, vicar and rector of five parishes in York and two in the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Dade was far ahead of his time in seeing the value of including as much information on individuals in the parish register as possible. In 1777 Archbishop William Markham decided that dade's scheme should be introduced throughout his diocese. The baptismal registers were to include child's name, seniority (eg. first son), father's name, profession, place of abode and descent (ie names, professions and places of abode of the father's parents), similar information about the mother, and mother's parents, the infant's date of birth and baptism. Registers of this period are a gold-mine for genealogists, but the scheme was so much work for the parish priests that it did not last long.

In 1770 Dade wrote in the parish register of St. Helen's, York: "This scheme if properly put in execution will afford much clearer intelligence to the researches of posterity than the imperfect method hitherto generally pursued." His influence spread and the term Dade register has come to describe any parish registers that include more detail than expected for the time.

The application of this system was somewhat haphazard and many clergymen, particularly in more populated areas, resented the extra work involved in making these lengthy entries. The thought of duplicating them for the Bishop’s Transcripts put many of them off and some refused to follow the new rules. Several letters of complaint were printed in the York newspapers of the time, and the scheme suffered when the Archbishop indicated there was no punishment for vicars who failed to comply.

The Borthwick Institute for Archives recommends that researchers looking at Yorkshire parishes between 1770 and 1812 should check both sources.

Sandra

Sandra Report 14 Sep 2009 15:14

Thanks Steve, Rev. Dade sounds a lovely man, I will look at the Bishops Transcripts for Durham to see if they use the method, just such a pity it never became law, thanks again.

Regards
Sandra