Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth of Nellie Evans

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 14 Sep 2009 19:45

Hi, I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I I was tracing my grandmother, born June 1895 according to my mother and duly found her on the bmd Q3. I then went looking and found her death in 1981 Q4 saying dob June 29 1895. Because I needed to confirm her parent's details I sent off for the birth certificate which arrived today. Now the query is - on the birth certificate it say dob is 29th JULY 1895 and the name of her mother is unknown to us! Have I been sent the wrong certificate or????? Advise please!

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 14 Sep 2009 20:07

Hi Lesley,

Where was Nellie born in 1895?

Ann

Kate

Kate Report 14 Sep 2009 20:13

It's possible that whoever registered the death might have got the birthday slightly wrong - just depends how well they knew her.

Do you have a marriage certificate to cross-reference the father's details with?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2009 21:27

It is not unusual to find birthdates wrong on a death certificate ......... nor to find the deceased's name wrong, their marital status wrong, and sometimes the name fo their spouse wrong!

All this information is only that which is known to the informant ..... and they may not have been told the truth

I have several times told the story of my grandfather who we all believed had been born on December 25, 1884 (although he tried to keep the year a secret!) .......... after his death his son found a birth certificate. Granddad was born on January 9 1885!

The name of the mother being different on the birth certificate is more serious ............. did you know the name before you orderd the certificate. Is it seriously different from what you believed to be the name?

I would suspect that this does indicate that you might have the wrong certificate.

Is there a father's name on the birth certificate? If so, is that the one that you expected?

sylvia

Lesley

Lesley Report 14 Sep 2009 21:48

Hi, Nellie was born in Northop, Hollywell. BC says registered in 9th August 1895. Father's name William Evans is correct. I have just gone back to the 1871/1861 census and found an Ann Jones but lose her again in 1871census. If this is her then she didn't have her first child until 1893 when she had Nellie's sister Maragaret. I do know she died in childbirth in 1902 so maybe it is her.....

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2009 21:59

so is it possible that your grandmother did not know/remember the name of her mother??

If her mother died when she was a small child, and she was raised by a step-mother ....... than that will be the name she remembered, and which your mother might have known.

sylvia

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 14 Sep 2009 22:14

Lesley,

Is that her in the 1901 living with her Aunt & Uncle (John Evans) at Northop?

I would give Hawarden Record Office a call 01244 532364, give them the birth details and ask them to look for a baptism for you, what address was on the BC?

Ann

Lesley

Lesley Report 14 Sep 2009 22:15

Hi Sylvia, I gather from my mother that when her grandmother died, her grandfather placed the 2 girls within the family which is where I have found them on the 1901 census, Nellie is the neice of the head of the Jones household and her sister is living with her Jones grandparents 2 doors away in Pant Y Go. My mother has no recollection of her grandmother's name so I was assuming it part of the Jones household but now maybe I'm wrong. I'm really stumped, just been looking through the 1901 census to see if can find a william Evans widower as it's 1900 she died as the baby is lodged with friends on the 1901 census which is what my mother said.

Lesley

Lesley Report 14 Sep 2009 22:22

Hi Ann, Thank you - yes that's her! The address on the BC is Fox Hole, Holywell. I will do as you suggest tomorrow.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 14 Sep 2009 22:33

Hi Lesley,

I would have jogged along there for you, only I have my little 1year old grandson for the next few days.........and I dont think they would take kindly to his boisterous antics.......although I could always tie him up outside the building for a couple of hours.

Fox Hole Holywell..........is that a house name or area I have not come across that name before.

Annx

Lesley

Lesley Report 14 Sep 2009 22:45

Hi Ann, I think it must be a house name, I can't see it if I 'google' it. Just had a look at the Welsh Records for Flintshire and they have 2 listings for an Ann Evans dying in 1900 - so maybe I might order the DCs and see if either are her. Then maybe I can work backwards cos I am at a loss as to who she is at the moment.

Lesley

Lesley Report 14 Sep 2009 23:00

Just wanted to say that after visiting the Harwarden website I have now found a marriage of William and Anne in 1889 and a death of Anne in 1900. I will oreder the certificates tomorrow and fingers crossed!! Many thanks for your help!

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 14 Sep 2009 23:14

Lesley,

Are you getting your info regarding the DC's from North Wales BMD?

If you have a couple of pointers, like you know what she died from or a address where she died or familiar informants name that you recognise, give Mold register office a ring with the rference numbers, ask them to check your pointers on both certs, if one of them is her then order from them..........they are quite helpful and will peep at the original to check......a bit like try before you buy!!.........YOU MUST HAVE THE NORTH WALES BMD REFERENCE. 01352 703333

ANN

Lesley

Lesley Report 15 Sep 2009 10:25

Thanks Ann - good idea. Will try and find time today to give them a call.