Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gypsy/Romany laws

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 15 Sep 2009 09:22

Would anyone know please, did the gypsies or romanies have their own birth, marriage and death records, did they use their own laws as I can't find records of my dil's grandmother. Thank you.

Sue

Sue

Sue Report 15 Sep 2009 09:48

Thank you very much, I'll have a look on here.

Sue

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 15 Sep 2009 12:53

I have seen some on GRO when members have asked for look ups. They were normal registrations.

Sue

Sue Report 15 Sep 2009 13:03

Thanks very much. I need to have a really good look around, I'm quite new to this. I'm trying to find my dil's family but her father's family were romany/gypsy (?) and her Mum's side were Irish! It needs to be simple for me.

Thanks again.
Sue

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 15 Sep 2009 15:08

Sue,
The answer to your question is no - They didn't have their own 'lists' .
Unfortunatley looking for Gypsy ancestors is not easy (trust me, I know!). The registrations are very hit and miss, Sometimes they are there - sometimes not. Deaths will always be recorded (but not necessarily in the name you would know them by).
What surname are you looking for?

Pat

Sue

Sue Report 15 Sep 2009 16:30

Hi Pat,
thanks very much for replying. My dil's paternal side were gypsy/romany, their surname was Brinkley. I've found quite a few Brinkleys, her grandfather was Rodney and I looked on the 1901 census and I have a Rodney born c1888, the address is Gypsy Caravan, Stonebridge Lane, West Derby (Sefton) but it said the family were all born in London. I also have a Rodney born around the same year but with different family names and they live at Caravan at Roe Stock, St. Albans. Sorry it's a bit confusing, it's doing my head in at the moment cos I'm new to all this.

Thanks, Sue

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 19 Sep 2009 12:21

Hi Sue,
Sorry for the late reply!

Do you know for sure that Rodney was born in 1888? Do you have a birth or marriage certificate with his name on for clarification?
As you have found 2 on the 1901, They are obviously not the same person- But I would imagine that you will find a connection with the two of them eventually - Rodney wasn't a common name in the 1900's and it isn't a typical gypsy name (that i'm aware of).

Pat

RStar

RStar Report 23 Aug 2012 23:24

Gypsies definitely didnt - they couldnt read and write mainly. The women also used their maiden name regardless of whether they had a proper marriage. And many didnt have a marriage as we know it, they had a gypsy ceremony. BUT they were usually baptised so baptism records are worthwhile to look for. Travellers who did well for themselves did sometimes leave a will as well. If they didnt die of natural causes look for inquests and always look at newspaper archives for obituaries - family came from far and wide! Census reports are good but be prepared for names spelt wrong. They didnt give a toss whether the ennumerator got them down right or not, and if they couldnt read they didnt know. Court assizes are another one and if necessary transportation records. Later, theres the electoral roll - if they settled in a house for part of the year as some did/do. This is an old post but Ive replied as it might help many people currently on Genes. Also the free website Rootschat has a traveller section, and the RTFHS (google it) is worth joining.