Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish certificates - ordering from England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 15 Sep 2009 10:03

I have just looked at a site giving details of how to order Irish certs by post. The only option open to me is to pay by credit card but they do not guarantee security or, as they put it, intervention by staff members.

That sounds a bit worrying! I shall have to think again.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 15 Sep 2009 10:16

Thanks David. I'll give it a go. I was just a bit concerned.

Janet :)

Potty

Potty Report 15 Sep 2009 10:56

Not sure which site you are using but this is the official Irish GRO:
www.groireland.ie

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 15 Sep 2009 12:05

I have ordered loads of Irish certificates by post over the last 5 years and never had any problems.

www.groireland.ie states. this...

Can I pay by Credit Card?
Yes, see Fees Page.

Can I order a certificate online?

Not yet, we do not have the appropriate computer systems to ensure the security of credit card details sent to us by email.

It is hoped that an ongoing government project called REACH will enable us to introduce this service sometime in xxxx.

In the meantime you can fax or post your credit card details.

Also for security reasons we do not accept credit card details by telephone.

I can't find anything that states "do not guarantee security or, as they put it, intervention by staff members"

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 15 Sep 2009 14:34

You can get Irish Certs from:
Civil Registration Office
Office of the Registrar General
Roscommon
Ireland
Tel: +353 (0) 90 6632900 +353 (0) 90 6632900 +353 (0) 90 6632900 +353 (0) 90 6632900
fax: +353 (0) 90 6632999

You need the persons name as per the family search site, district ie Cork, year, quarter, plus the volume number and the page
They don't take orders over the phone - I send a fax with my ccard details.
The cost is €4 for a photocopy of the certificate.

I've ordered over 80 in the last year and never had any problems - they've even phoned me to clarify some info.
MB

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 15 Sep 2009 15:24

This is the note I read on the GROIreland site:
IMPORTANT NOTE:
CREDIT CARD DETAILS SENT BY POST OR FAX ARE SENT AT THE CARDHOLDERS OWN RISK AND THE GENERAL REGISTER OFFICE CANNOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSSES OR DAMAGES INCURRED BY THE LOSS OR INTERCEPTION BY THIRD PARTIES OF SAID DETAILS

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 15 Sep 2009 15:26

Many thanks to all who have offered help and advice.

I am a bit confused about the cost, though, as this is what they say the fees are:

Authentication of an existing certificate: €10.00
Search and Photocopy of entry in the Register: €6.00
Additional Photocopies: €4.00

I will be ordering a marriage certificate shortly if I can work out how much they cost!