Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on London Cemeteries Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 15 Sep 2009 19:54

Hi

I am trying to trace my great grandad's grave (Richard Francis) who died in Jan 1933 in East Ham, Middlesex. I've already paid for a search in Manor Park Cemetery and they have been unable to locate him. I have now found out that there are at least a further 7 cemeteries in the area and was wondering if there is somewhere central that holds burial records that would point me in the direction of the right cemetery?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Hilary

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 15 Sep 2009 23:28

Dear Hilary

Hello

Have you tried contacting the local archive and history centre for all the cemetaries and burial places for the area?

Do you know his religion?

This would narrow down the search.

What was the address on the death certificate?

Are you sure that he was buried in East Ham or could it have been in Essex?

In your computers search facility, type in the area, then genuki, to bring you into the GENUKI search engine.

If you go to the church parish page for the area, then you can see what burial places there are. Look at the map for the area which they provide.

There is www.familysearch.org and the National Burial Index but I have not been able to locate records that would match.

Best wishes
x

Hilary

Hilary Report 16 Sep 2009 07:51

Hi Elizabeth

Thanks for your reply. Richard Francis died at South Esk Road, East Ham, Middlesex which I believe is in the West Ham district. Unfortunately I don't know his religion or where he is buried.

I've tried to use Genuki without success (I'm inexperienced and it's not an easy website to navigate) but Manor Park cemetery did give me a list of 7 others in the area so I guess that I will have to contact each of them. Thanks for your help anyway.

Best wishes
Hilary

Reece

Reece Report 16 Sep 2009 08:14

Hello Hilary,

Your research will be easier if you look for WEST HAM, ESSEX, the Middlesex is misleading. In 1965 the area became the present London Borough of Newham and it might be helpful to contact the East London Family History Society, where I'm sure you will receive lots of help.

Good luck with your search and let me know if I can be of any further help as I am researching in this area, too.

Regards,

Reece

Julie

Julie Report 16 Sep 2009 08:26

Have you tried the cemetery & crematorium nearest to where he lived

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 16 Sep 2009 16:09

Looked on the NBI 2nd edition searched all counties 1933+- 1 year.

Found 2 one in Wales the other
Richard Francis
Burial date 25.1.1934
Age 82
Place: Earls Colne St Andrew

I think it's near Colchester Essex.

Pat

Irene

Irene Report 16 Sep 2009 17:22

East London Cemetery or the City of London with both cover that area. Good luck Irene

Hilary

Hilary Report 16 Sep 2009 20:55

Thank you so very much to everyone who has replied!

My Richard Francis was 69 when he died in January 1933. I've already paid the local cemetery (Manor park) £5 to do a search which took 30 seconds whilst I waited on the phone and found nothing. I have since contacted City of London Cemetery which is the second closest and they are now looking for me but I am amazed to learn from their website that their fee for a search of a burial record before 1955 is £36 per person per year because their records are not indexed (!)

Reece, thanks for the tip about East London Family History Society. I've had a look at their website and from this found out that London Metropolitan Archives hold burial records for the area I'm interested in, so, if City of London can't find him, it looks like my next contact will be with LMA.

Once again, thank you to everyone for trying to help, it's very much appreciated.

Best wishes
Hilary

Hilary

Hilary Report 18 Sep 2009 19:03

Hi

I am thrilled to say that I have just found my great grandad in the City of London Cemetery and have been given his grave plot number so that I can visit! I was hoping that by finding this I may also discover the whereabouts of my great grandmother and I have been lucky as she is buried with him in the same plot!

Sadly, although it is a private grave, I have been told that there isn't a memorial headstone in place. I still intend to visit the graveside and will make enquiries about erecting a headstone for them if allowed to do so.

Thank you once again to everyone for your help. I think that a good number of other relatives may also be resting in this cemetery too.

Best wishes

Hilary

Reece

Reece Report 18 Sep 2009 20:45

Hello Hilary,

I am so very pleased to hear that you have found your great grand dad's grave at the City of London Cemetery.

Good luck with your further research.

Regards.

Reece