Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do you think?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 15 Sep 2009 21:43

ok i'm probably not going to get some good feedback from this but here it goes

a friend of a friend is intrested in family trees but due to working 60 hours a week hasn't got time. he ideally wants a pedagree chart done for his mum and dads diamond wedding annaversary. he has asked that i do the resech for him. as a stay at home mum i have the time and could do with the money - he's offerd to pay, but do you think it's ethical to do it? he's going to pay for all the certs i will need and my ansestory membership too - which i was going to give up as i can't afford. but i'm concerned i may upset or offend others . honest opinions please (but don't be too harsh please) vicky.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Sep 2009 21:45

Go for it

Maureen

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 15 Sep 2009 21:46

Who would you be upsetting?

If he pays you to do it and you're happy to do it then go ahead ...

I'm always happy to do bits of trees for others - they can pay for certs etc. I think there are a few more of us on here who do research for others as well as ourselves.

Don't worry about it. If you enjoy the thrill of the chase and putting a tree together then you'll both be happy!

Jill

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Sep 2009 21:51

The only negative feedback you might get is about posting a duplicate thread LOL

Victoria

Victoria Report 15 Sep 2009 21:52

oh i love it so much i live and brethe it kids are getting into it too going round churches and helping looks up stuff in the local records office. its so thrilling to put the pieces of the puzzle together . didn't want it to offend people - not sure why i would as it's only a pedagree chart i'm not seeking living relatives. guess i just wanted assurance that i wouldn't put peoples noses out. thanks jill and maureen, you've put my mind at ease.

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Sep 2009 22:02

I said the same as Glitter Baby on your other thread.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 15 Sep 2009 22:15

I agree, go for it. You are giving him your time which is precious and he will get a lovely present to give to his parents. Nothing wrong with that!

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 15 Sep 2009 22:28

You won't get negative feedback from me either. When I'm stuck on my own tree i just love the challenge of sorting someone elses tree. I've had a go at loads of friends trees.

All you need to do is be honest, if you get stuck, tell your friend that you can't get any further on that line.

Good luck and don't forget where we are if you do get stuck!

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 15 Sep 2009 22:41

Hi Vicky

I will also add to the offer of help from Janet, if you get stuck.

Kind regards
Amanda

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Sep 2009 23:25

I'll just add my voice to the others, Vicky, nothing at all wrong with that. Sounds like a good deal for both of you and if we can help don't hesitate to give a shout.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Sep 2009 00:28

Its a great idea, go for it, and shout at us lot for any problems that you have,

Happy hunting

Margaret

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Sep 2009 03:56

I don't see any problem with it

Good hunting

I would see a problem if you set up as a professional researcher, charging high prices, and then used our free help to do the work for you!!! That is an ethical problem!!

But to help a friend, who pays for his certificates and other costs that you incur on his behalf, and gives you the membership in ancestry as a thank you ............. no problem!

Have fun!

(and we'll help you if you get stuck!!)

sylvia

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 16 Sep 2009 07:21

No problem at all. If your friend had the time he would have to join Ancestry anyway. This way you both benefit