Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GROS certificate query - births abroad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 16 Sep 2009 03:34

Hi,

I am ordering some certificates through the GRO for some births abroad. I am not even sure that they will have the events recognised.

Can anyone please advise that if they cannot find a record do they refund the certificate fee back? As I have to pay for conversion from pounds to Australian dollars it can be a little expensive. I know I can tick the Reference Check box for them to searh the non mandetory details but that's all I can see.

I have searched their Frequently asked Questions but this wasn't there.

Kind regards

Rachelle

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Sep 2009 03:48

I do not believe that you can order overseas births from GRO

and if you do not have the GRO reference number they will charge you at least £10

Thye will not refund the fee.

The only time they refund a part of the fee is if you have provided a reference as to name of spouse or name of parent(s) ........... if the name of that reference does not match the certificate ordered they do not send the certificate, and refund £3 of the £7 charged (£10 if you don't he the GRO reference number)

Where did the births take place? What makes you think that GRO has the certificates for them?

sylvia

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 16 Sep 2009 04:12

Hi Sylvia,

Their website advises that they hold details of births of British Citizens who were born abroad.

The birth took place in Alexandria, Egypt 1944 and the father was a member of the British Army and although born in Malta was considered in Egypt as a British subject.

I have the parents names and occupations but as it was in wartime I am guessing only that they may have the record but of course it may have been lost in transit.

I thought it worth a shot anyway

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Sep 2009 05:04

Hi Rachelle

It's worth a try!

But I don't think you will get your money refunded!

sylvia

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 16 Sep 2009 05:21

Thanks, will try it and see how I go, I just thought I'd ask here first to see what anyone else's experience was.

JMW

JMW Report 16 Sep 2009 08:44

GRO does have an overseas branch which receives records of events which took place abroad for Brits. However, this does depend on the efficiency of the overseas country who may send details immediately, may send them weeks, months or years later, or never send them at all.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Sep 2009 08:50

You can find the GRO references for Army births abroad on the Findmypast website. You then order in the normal way from the GRO but remember to click "overseas births" when starting to order.

If for any reason they can't find the birth (although they should if you supply the reference), then the refund £4 of the £7 you pay and keep £3 to cover the cost of the search they do.

Kath. x

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 16 Sep 2009 08:55

Findmypast had indexes of Overseas birth - have you looked there for the year & reference info
MB

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 16 Sep 2009 09:38

Some time ago I ordered a 1940 overseas marriage cert from GRO...the marriage took place in Palestine.

I had no problem at all.

Linda

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 17 Sep 2009 00:07

Thanks to those who took the time to reply.

I have checked the FindMyPast website but no results come up, so it is a bit frustrating. (A lot frustrating really!) It seems to be a lot harder trying to track a European part of the tree whose people moved between Italy and Malta, then to Egypt then to Australia.

Thanks all

mgnv

mgnv Report 17 Sep 2009 08:01

SYLVIA -

For a list of registers the GRO hold, see:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_176232.pdf