Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

confusesd with names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mandy

Mandy Report 16 Sep 2009 12:45

hi im a little confused my grandma seems to be using diffrent names she was born as letitia nolan in 1902 but on her marrage cerfiricate in 1924 she is named as kathleen letitia nolan and on her first childs birth certificate in 1925 she is named as catherine letitia nolan its the same person as the address is the same but im a little comfused as to why anyone any ideas why

Potty

Potty Report 16 Sep 2009 12:50

Possibly the Kathleen was added at baptism? Was she the informant on the birth cert? If so did she sign it or just make her mark? If she couldn't read the Kathleen may have been misheard by the Registrar.

BrianW

BrianW Report 16 Sep 2009 16:09

It's not at all unusual for different names to be used at various stages in someone's life in the 1800s.

If they were illiterate then it was down to what the person writing it thought they heard.

You're lucky if they are recognisably similar.
Try matching Harriet Lavinia to Maggie !

Heather

Heather Report 16 Sep 2009 16:49

I dont think thats anything to worry about.

Kate

Kate Report 16 Sep 2009 16:55

I've got a Catherine in my tree who was born Catherine but married and died as Kathleen. Possibly she didn't like her original name and informally changed it, but it wouldn't surprise me if yours was just recorded under different names.

It's also possible that her mum and dad picked one name at birth and decided to call her something else later on.

Steve

Steve Report 16 Sep 2009 17:13

Hi Mandy :-)

My Aunt was baptized Mary a name favoured by her father. Her mother really wanted her to be named Marjorie and called her that whilst my Grandfather stuck with Mary her given name. In the end my Aunt liked Marjorie much more than Mary - so she was baptized Mary - Married as Mary Marjorie and died as Marjorie.

Cheers - Steve.

PS: It was news to me at her funeral when the minister said her name as Mary - how surprized was I!

A Fabulous woman - Resting in Peace.