Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burials - Woolwich

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Winterose

Winterose Report 16 Sep 2009 14:12

Hello

Can anyone please advise, how can I find the resting place of my grt-grandparents, they died 1889 in Woolwich, Kent.

Thanks
Winterose

Winterose

Winterose Report 16 Sep 2009 14:40

Thankyou Annie. They are John Cummings and Mary Ann Cummings
Winterose

Winterose

Winterose Report 16 Sep 2009 14:56

Thank you Annie - I'm not a local, I will contact the council.

Winterose

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Sep 2009 16:23

Woolwich Borough Council are very good with their Municipal Cemetery records.Contact the Parks & Cemeteries dept with all the info you have from the death certs ie date and place of death and possible the home address of the deceased , they will take a couple of days but will ring you back with any info they find.
I found them very helpful and they didnt charge although that could have changed of course

Winterose

Winterose Report 16 Sep 2009 16:50

I'll send the WBC an email as this is easier for me and ring them if they don't respond. Thanks Shirley.
Wintreose

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 16 Sep 2009 19:43

I think Woolwich comes under London Borough of Greenwich. Try this link:

www.greenwich.gov.uk

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Sep 2009 21:10

Yes Selina is right I came from that area and sometimes it was two councils Greenwich & Woolwich but i I believe they are both now combined and called Greenwich council but are based in Woolwich !! bit confusing that. We moved in the 1960,s but have family still in both areas but you lose touch

Greenwich Council is located at:

Town Hall
Wellington Street
Woolwich
London SE18 6PW
tel nos 020 8854 8888

Winterose

Winterose Report 16 Sep 2009 23:11

Thank you all. The Woolwich & Greenwich thing is confusing, but I should get there.
Winterose

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 17 Sep 2009 01:40

try this too

http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/LeisureCulture/HistoryAndHeritage/HeritageCentre/

Winterose

Winterose Report 17 Sep 2009 02:01

Thanks for all your help!
We would all know what to do if the NBI covered all!
Winterose

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Sep 2009 09:52

when i contacted woolwich and also morden for burriels not only did they find the infomation for me but also took photos of the graves - which showed new infomation engraved and photos of other burriels next to my grandads with the same surmame just incase it was another relative. i was so overwhelmed at how much they did for me - obviously another keen family tree maker too as went above and beyond what i asked for knowing the other infomation may be important in the future!