Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pedigree Resource Files

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Winterose

Winterose Report 17 Sep 2009 00:29

Hello, thought I'd try this board, posted this yesterday on the General board but am still curious.
Has anyone bought any Pedigree Resource Files from Family Search and did they meet your expectation?
From time to time I've noticed 'matches' on the PRF on the IGI - just wondered if they are worth the money!
Winterose

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 17 Sep 2009 01:31

Hi

beware of other peoples' research. I've noticed a few major boo-boos on
Pedigree trees, spend as little money as possible !
I've put a tree on there and quite a lot of dates didn't transfer over correctly.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Sep 2009 05:08

familysearch is the Mormon site

Most of the information in the Submitted records on the International Genealogical Index on there, as well as in the ancestral files and the Pedigree resource Files are actually submitted by church members ........ and have no backup documentation. Many of them are mere guesswork as to dates, or even anmes.

They should not to be trusted until and unless you can find that documentation.

The only information I actually use from familysearch are Extracted records from the International Genealogical Index, which have been taken from the actual parish records.

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Sep 2009 08:55

To all intents and purposes, Pedigree Resource Files are trees that have been submitted by others. You don't even have to be a member of the LDS to do so. I added on myself a few years back, out of interest.

They are as accurate (or otherwise) as the trees on GR, Ancestry, Tribal or indeed any other website are.

Winterose

Winterose Report 17 Sep 2009 09:06

Thank you all.
I believe there's a charge for the discs, that made me wonder of the amount of info and whether its worth ordering.
Yes it would be a bit stupid to treat it like the gospel - verification is the Golden rule of genealogy.
Winterose

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 17 Sep 2009 09:23

I would use the site only for a finding aid. Only my humble opinion, but I would save the money to buy something like certificates or a sub to Ancestry or FMP.