Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish Seaman...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 19 Sep 2009 12:23

Hi, could anyone tell me if it is possible to find a Scottish seaman on a census night...we have him in 1861 living with his family, but cannot find him on 1851 census, his wife is on her own with a child and her mother, so we think he is at sea.His name is John Monteith and he was born 1806 Falkirk, any help on this would be appreciated .Thanks in advance Donna.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Sep 2009 12:26

If he was at sea then he won't be on the census.

Kath. x

Netty

Netty Report 19 Sep 2009 15:55

TRACING SEAMEN ON BRITISH CENSUSES 1841 -1891

Seamen on board ships in port or docked on rivers were recorded for the first time. They were enumerated by the Master and collected by the local Officer of Customs whose duty it was to submit the records. The RGSS had similar responsibility for the enumeration of ships at sea within territorial waters. Survival rate for these records is poor. The records
may be located following the normal census records for the port at which the ship was docked or the port to which it returned at the end of its voyage.

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKCensuses.html

Donna

Donna Report 20 Sep 2009 20:20

Hi, and thank you for your replies, sorry i didn't get back to you sooner but i was at work till 10pm yesterday and have been out with the kids all day today, thought i would sneak an hour tonight, will try the website and see if i can locate him, Once again thank you for your time.Donna