Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

witness name assistance please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 19 Sep 2009 14:11

Can anyone make out the name of the first witness {above Martha} ,please, this one has me baffled.?
Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

marriage of Sarah Arber/ Henry Washington. 1839

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=1623&path=Camden.Saint+George+The+Martyr,+Queen+Square.1839.3&fn=Sarah&ln=Arber&st=r&pid=7521065&rc=&zp=100

LindaMcD

LindaMcD Report 19 Sep 2009 14:25

I am not getting that marriage from the link? Found it it is image 19

Looks like Amos Percy Or could be Thomas Percy actually the more I look at it think it is the abbreviated Thomas

Linda

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 19 Sep 2009 17:59

Thanks for looking, the more I look the less I see, I was hoping to find him on the 41 census but nothing.
I have much more luck with other peoples families!
Lx

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 20 Sep 2009 01:56

Thankyou so much , yes thats them ,it must have been a horse drawn omnibus I guess. but the elusive Thomas? Percy is still hiding.

I'm embarassed that ancestry want to tout for business, how naughty, and there was I hoping to put a quick link.

Sarah 1806 Huntingdon, Henry 1804 Ireland or Huntingdon, don't seem to move around, but they dont appear on the 61 census but return on the 71 onwards. They are a pain !

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 20 Sep 2009 03:30

Where did you access the marriage banns documents please? I have never seen those before.

Margaret

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 20 Sep 2009 04:46

Its a new ancestry listing, but I'm not sure which sort of ancestry membership you need to read it Its only for London.
I was suprised to find the certificate I had bought a while back in its original form and the Banns which have to be read 3 times before the marriage

I can look up for anyone if it helps, since my own tree is at a standstill !
You can see the original written entries too.

London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921 about Sarah Arber
Name: Sarah Arber
Spouse Name: Henry Washington
Spouse Age: Full Age
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 9 Feb 1839
Parish: Saint George The Martyr, Queen Square
County: Middlesex
Borough: Camden
Father Name: Wm Arber
Spouse Father Name: Thos Washington

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 20 Sep 2009 20:25

Thanks for explaining that Lindsey. I have a full subscription, but the banns I want are not London.

Saves me fretting that I might have missed something vital!

Margaret

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Sep 2009 01:39

Madmeg

look at what is new on ancestry ...... it shows births marriages and deaths in London from something like 1580 to 1920 (but differing periods for b.m.ds)

Lots of good information.

I can also access it by going to Home Page and scrolling down.

I believe you have to have more than the standard membership to access it.

sylvia