Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Soldiers killed in action

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 20 Sep 2009 16:44

how can i find out the parentage of soldiers killed in action during the two world wars all i have is their rank their Corps, where and when they were KIA, possibly where they were born but not when where they might have lived before they joined up
i have tried Genes trees but as i can only guess on their DOB thats no help
Any ideas

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 20 Sep 2009 17:32

Try the CWGC

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

they sometimes have their parents and spouse names on their

also try ancestry ww1 records

Roy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Sep 2009 17:35

Duplicate thread.

Kath. x

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 20 Sep 2009 22:46

Hi

Kathleen, I take the point that it is a duplicate thread, but I would have thought the Tips Board was the right place for it. I have to say I have never got to grips with where to post things, but appreciate that posting them in two different placed irritates people and doesn't produce the best results.

Hey ho!

Angela, try the CWGC site as a starter, it is good. I found several relatives not properly recorded, e.g. parents and spouses not mentioned, and they were able to amend their records after I provided evidence to them.

If you know the rank and Corps you might be able to contact the actual military unit, but I haven't done that myself.

Margaret

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Sep 2009 22:57

Hi Margaret,

I only mentioned the duplicate thread because the information has been found on the other thread.

Just didn't want people to waste time finding information already found on Commonwealth War Graves site.

Kath. x