Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on Visiting a Records Office

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tetley

Tetley Report 21 Sep 2009 19:00

Evening all

As I have not visited a Records Office before.

Births,Marriage,Deaths. Can you view what a certificate would normally contain?

Births - Mothers maiden name etc.

Regards
Tetley

Sam

Sam Report 21 Sep 2009 19:10

You can't view certificates at Records Offices - certs are held at Regster Offices and even then you can't view without buying them. A Records office will have the GRO indexes available for searching but you would still need to order and pay for the certificate in the usual way.

However... parish records for marriages after 1837 contain exactly the same info as a marriage certificate, the only thing is that you would need to know which church the couple got married at. Parish Records are not indexed in anyway , it is usually a case of trawling through microfiche or microfilm until you find what you need so if you don't know which church, it could be a big job.

Parish Records of baptisms will be available but don't usually give mother's maiden name and PR's for burials are available but won't usually give you cause of death etc.

Sam x

Tetley

Tetley Report 21 Sep 2009 19:31

Hi Sam

Thankyou for replying to my question

and for the information most helpful

Thanks
Tetley

Rachel

Rachel Report 21 Sep 2009 21:36

Hi,

Some tips on visiting a Records Office.

Contact the Record Office beforehand to find out their opening hours, book a microfiche and find out if they do tours (these are a great way to find out what information is held where).

Also, have an idea as to what information you want to find out, as there is so much information available (e.g. voters list, trade directories, school records, baptism/christening records, wills etc).

Have a look on the internet to see if you can find out which church your ancestors married in (I used online parish clerk for Lancashire) , then narrow it down by the quarter (via freebmd) - you can then view this on microfiche and print it off - which is a lot cheaper than paying £7.

Ask if the Record Office has a Family History Group (Liverpool have one every Monday between 1 - 4 pm where you can ask a team of volunteers to help you with your research). Take some money with you as you may have to keep your bags in a locker,. If you are visiting from outside the area, take some food with you as you'll be amazed how quickly the time flies!

Make a note of which microfiches you have looked at - even if you don't find the record you want, you'll have a list of ones you've looked at. Try to find out which parish/parishes/ churches your family went to - most of my ancestors got baptised/maried in one of 3 or 4 churches. Ask any relatives you can as to which churches/streets ancestors lived in or if they owned shops etc - you'll be surprised how handy this information can be! My nan told me my grandad was christening in a church, so I found hs christening, as well as all his siblings (with their dates of birth), their address, father's profession etc. I also found that in that church some of his aunts and uncles were christened.

Take lots of paper, pens and pencils. Also take a mobile phone with a camera if you can (as you may not be allowed to photocopy some of the old parish records, but may be allowed to take a photo without a flash). If you think you will be visiting the record office again, take proof ofidentity etc as you may need to have this to make full use of all the facilities. You will then become a member of the library and this will come in handy when you visit the area again.

Hope this is of some use.

Rachel

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 21 Sep 2009 21:49

Rachel has covered the Record Office visiting advice very well but I would add one thing.

You will need a CARN card to enter the Record Office so take some ID so they can issue you with your card. I think they do a 'one off' visitor's card as well but I am sure this visit will be the first of many.

CARN stands for 'County Archives Research Network'. I just looked that up!

Janet

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 21 Sep 2009 23:41

Dear All

Hello

Great Tips. Can I just add:

1. Take two notebooks.

One for info about definite family connections.

The second book for possible info that could be useful.
You can follow this up at a later date.

2. A magnifying glass. Some of the writing is very poor.

3. Always secure your locker and take the key with you.
One of our GR members and friend had her bag taken.

4. Plan your journey route there and back.

Most of all, enjoy your visit and have a safe journey.

Best wishes to all
xx

Kate

Kate Report 22 Sep 2009 00:33

It may also be worth checking whether you can take a notebook in or if you are restricted to loose sheets of paper - I think some record offices are notebook-unfriendly! I take my papers with me in one of those plastic folders with the popper buttons on it.

It might be worth having a spare sheet to write down film or fiche reference numbers in case you need to come back and view them again.

One thing I sometimes do it to make a form for marriages and another for baptisms so that I can transfer multiple events from the same register onto one sheet. My "marriage ones" are split into sections for - bride, bride's father, groom, groom's father, witnesses, and my "baptism ones" usually go - child's name, father, mother, address/godparents (because I find some records have godparents down, some have the family address and some have both!).

Another thing I have come across is that some record offices only allow pencils to be used, so a sharpener and multiple pencils are often a good idea.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 22 Sep 2009 08:01

Kate - well spotted! I forgot to mention 'pencils' only! Our office sell them with 'Record Office' on the side; I've always wanted one (childish of me!).

Did anyone mention spare change for any copies?

Poor old Tetley will be making a list of what to take....

Janet

Fendweller

Fendweller Report 22 Sep 2009 10:31

I have just booked a tour round the Hertfordshire Archives. I was a bit anxious about going for the first time and then someone told me about the tours. The September one was already fully booked, but I got the last place on the November one - they must be very popular!

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm off now to study all the tips on visiting the archives. It is obviously necessary to be well organised and take the right things!

Angela

Angela Report 22 Sep 2009 15:48

All Record Offices are slightly different - look up the website of the one you're going to. Some are not part of the CARN network so you will need other ID. Some you have to book just to visit, let alone to get a fiche or film reader e.g. Cornwall which is v. tiny. Devon has a box of magnifying glasses - no need to take your own. Essex has a v. helpful announcement over the loudspeaker when the sandwhich van arrives in the car park at lunchtime! Opening days/hours are very variable too.
Staff are unfailingly helpful.
Have a good visit.
Angela