Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 22 Sep 2009 17:18

I have just purchased this book which came today and just to say I am well impressed. I would really recommend it for anyone who is back to looking for parish records (record offices) around the UK pre 1837.

It lists every place in the country, and tells you the location of the parish records, (the record office where you can search them) the dates they have to and from, etc., and the first half of the book shows maps of parishes and surrounding areas, so when you have exhausted the place which you think your ancestor lived, you can branch out to the next neighbouring parish.

The recommended price is £50, but I purchased it on Amazon for £32.50, perhaps something to put on birthday/Christmas present list.

I was a bit apprehensive with it being so expensive but I am really glad I got it, I think it will live up to its name of the Genealogists Bible.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Sep 2009 18:57

thanks for the tip Marilyn

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 22 Sep 2009 20:33

The first half of the book is maps, two different styles for each county, one like parish boundaries and one which is supposed to be main sort of roads from parish to parish, showing the likely routes ancestors took. All maps are pre 1837. The second half of the book is set out county by county and then lists all places in that countyin aphabetical order, and gives the record office where the parish records are deposited and the dates from and to. It also lists which censuses are available for each place (presuming at the record office), records on the IGI, which places are on Boyds Marriage Index, any on Pallots Marriage Index, registration district, any Non Conformist records and then gives a reference so you can find the place on the relevant map. A very useful tool, I think it will be well thumbed.

You could try at the local library but ours couldnt get it in and any book shop had to order it, so it wasnt available to look through first. A lot of money for a book you cant look at first but it the reviews I found were very good and I agree.

As I say the cheapest I found was £32.50 on Amazon, the bookshops I tried including WH Smith and Waterstones were £50. Oh and make sure you get third edition.

Hope this helps with your decision

Marilyn

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 22 Sep 2009 23:39

Hi Marilyn,

You state it is for the UK, can you advise if it covers Scotland as well?

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 23 Sep 2009 03:14

Hi,

Try this site it is very cheap and you don't pay anything for delivery. I can speak from personal experience in that books arrive promptly and are packed really well, and their customer service is great: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

This book is 34 pounds 63 (sorry I don't have the pounds symbol as I am in Australia) so a bit dearer than Amazon but NO delivery charge!

Cheers

Rachelle

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 23 Sep 2009 06:53

if your quick theres a few used copies at £24;99
on Amazon

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 23 Sep 2009 14:14

Glasgow Mcalls yes it does cover Scotland and it qualifies for free delivery on Amazon. If you get a used edition the third edition is the most up to date one, I think there is a slight difference but not sure what, just read somewhere that the third edition is better. I ordered from Amazon on Saturday and it was dispatched on Monday, arrived Tuesday, FREE. Someone may find it cheaper but I have no worries with Amazon.

Marilyn