Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gold membership

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Belle56

Belle56 Report 23 Sep 2009 06:23

Sorry to sound dim folks, but i am thinking of subscribing to the gold membership, does this include your years sub to this site as well? I used to have ancestry but they wanted over £100 for the year and i thought that was a bit much. Can anyone enlighten me please...

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Sep 2009 07:02

Gold membership is for 6 months only

You have access to everyhting that you access with standard membership, plus the records that GR says it carries.

There is however debate among members as to how many records GR actually carries vs diverting you to another site so that you can see the records.

They do not carry the 1881 census because that is available free elsewhere.

Their bmd records take you only to the index .......... and anyway these are available free on freebmd, or through your ancestyr subscriptio

in my humble opinion, gold membership is not worth it!

If you upgrade to gold membership, you also then become able to only return to standard membership at a higher rate .......... for example I have standard membership at around £9.95 for 12 months .................. if you upgrade, then downgrade, you pay the same amount for 6 months!

I say ancestry every time!

sylvia

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 23 Sep 2009 07:28

Belle,

Phone Ancestry and ask them about their special deals. You should be able to get it for a lot less than £100.

Rose

Potty

Potty Report 23 Sep 2009 11:15

I agree with Sylvia. If you have been used to Ancestry you will be very disappointed with GR's search facility. I tried it for 6 months because Ancestry was so dear but went back to Ancestry before the 6 months was up.

Belle56

Belle56 Report 23 Sep 2009 11:58

Thanks for that folks, I won't bother with the gold membership..

Belle xxx