Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can anyone help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sue

sue Report 26 Sep 2009 15:33

I have paid for a copy off the 1911 census for a family on my tree.

I had a address on a birth cert so used this for the search. The birth was for a child born 4 months after the census took place.

I found the right surname but then things dont add up to the information i found in the 1901 census.

In 1901 i had
George Rawlinson age 22
Mary a Rawlinson age 21
Eliza Rawlinson age 3
Rose Rawlinson age 4months

But in 1911 I have
Polly Rawlinson 32
George Rawlinson 34
Dolly Rawlinson age 13
Rose Rawlinson age 10
plus 5 other children born after 1901

Also in the boxes they write how long they have been married matches what I have. But then the children show she had 7born alive 4 still living plus 3 died.

How can this be when she shows 7 children living in 1911.

Do you think the wife might have had a pet name? plus her daughter?

Any ideas you might have could help me decide if this is my family. I cant find any other matches by name in the 1911 census. Thanks Sue

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 26 Sep 2009 15:44

Well, Polly is a very popular nick name for those named Mary . So that sorts her out.
Not sure about Dolly becoming Eliza. Dolly is often short for Dorothy. But don't rule it out, maybe she was later known by her second name, or it was a nickname.

One way of establishing if it's the same George and Mary/Polly is to look at their places of birth, see if they match on the 1901 & 1911. Check George's occupation too, is it the same/similar?

As for the number of children...well a lot can happen in the 10 years between the censuses, especially with child mortality rate being high. Maybe the others were not in the house that night, staying with auntie up the road perhaps??
As for missing children, can you not look for deaths on Freebmd? Even easier after 1911 as you can find them through a search using mother's maiden name, which pinpoints they are the correct children, or not.

K

sue

sue Report 26 Sep 2009 15:49

Thanks Karen

That makes Mary clear. With the children she says she had 7 born alive so I take it is the 7 with her.
3 could have been born dead. But why show only 4 still living?.
Still can not get that part.

Sue

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 26 Sep 2009 15:51

Sorry added/edited whilst you were posting....

One way of establishing if it's the same George and Mary/Polly is to look at their places of birth, see if they match on the 1901 & 1911. Check George's occupation too, is it the same/similar?

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 26 Sep 2009 15:52

Aah, yes I got a bit confused over the 7 children business.
I see what you mean....there actually appear to be too many, don't there?

Have they made a mistake filling out the census form, and put ALL the children who were born, rather than just the current living ones. Check the deaths on free bmd.

sue

sue Report 26 Sep 2009 15:54

Yes that all matches my family. I know the couple had more children after 1911 so it would make sence they had more before the birth I have.
Sue

sue

sue Report 26 Sep 2009 15:55

I need to sort my son out be back in a few mins.
Sue

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 26 Sep 2009 15:56

Snap .... got to go do something!!.
Back later, will look in.

K

sue

sue Report 26 Sep 2009 16:21

Thanks for the list I will check it now.

I think it must be that she listed all her children (bless her)

I will also find eliza birth record for her middle name.

Thanks Sue

sue

sue Report 26 Sep 2009 16:41

a couple could be my deaths.The other children in 1911 are
Violet 8
nellie 6
joe 5
george 4
beatric 18months.

I think eliza was born elizabeth mary a rawlinson so maybe that why they called her nickname dolly. As said before polly was ann.

Do you know what nellie could be a nick namefor.
Sue

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 26 Sep 2009 17:00

I presume this is Charles Junior's birth - this will confirm whether or not she was Emily Gay:

Births Dec 1887 (>99%)
French Charles Marylebone 1a 541 Scan available - click to view

Kate

Kate Report 26 Sep 2009 18:44

Nellie could be a nickname for Helen, or Ellen, or perhaps even Eleanor.

sue

sue Report 26 Sep 2009 20:13

Thanks Nicola and kate for your replys.

Sue