Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unable to find death record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 Sep 2009 14:26

My great great grandmother Hannah Silvey born 1835 Combe, Hampshire, England married William Verry in 1864 in Islington, London. I have found that they divorced in 1871 and I am unable to find Hannah Silvey or Verry in 1871, 1881, 1891 census records or find a death record for her. Unsure if she would still have the name Verry or Silvey again? I have also tried to find marriage records after 1871 under Silvey and Verry but nothing shows up.
Where did she go? I am confused, any ideas?
Thanks
Sarah

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 28 Sep 2009 15:23

could she have married bigamously
Marriages Dec 1870 (>99%)
LAWRENCE Daniel Newbury 2c 499
SILREY Hannah Newbury 2c 499
SILVEY Hannah Newbury 2c 499

Although I dont hold much hope for her as she ends up a lunatic in Broadmoor assylum

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 Sep 2009 19:31

Do you know if they had any children?

Keep looking at this birth and marriage

Births Sep 1865 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERRY Caroline Alice Islington 1b 347

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1896 (>99%)

Verry Caroline Alice Bethnal G. 1c 372

I can find this Caroline on 1881, at Merton College, and 1891, as a servant, but not checked the 1901. Not found her on 1871 census

1871 poss
Name: Caroline Alice Berry
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Wm
Where born: Islington, Middlesex, England
Civil parish: St Leonard Shoreditch
Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul Haggerstone
County/Island: London
Registration district: Shoreditch
Sub-registration district: Haggerston East
ED, institution, or vessel: 15
Household schedule number: 81
Household Members: Name Age
Wm Berry 37 born Islington
Caroline Alice Berry 5

Class: RG10; Piece: 472; Folio: 27; Page: 17; GSU roll: 823367

Could be Verry on image.
William shown as married and occupation of traveller.

Have you actually seen divorce papers as would have been unusual to divorce back then

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 Sep 2009 10:55

Thank you everyone, will look further into some of these thoughts. Yes the 1871 census with William and Caroline Alice does look like Verry so I will order Caroline Alice's birth certificate.

I see Hannah Silvey who married Daniel Lawrence appears in the 1871 census living with her father William Silvey and was born Welford 1838. The 1835 Combe Hannah Silvey has a father called Thomas. So hopefully my Hannah didn't end up in Broadmoor!

Thanks for the Hackney 1881 marriages, will look into that.

Hopefully I can find Hannah Silvey/Verry from 1871 as it seems a mystery right now. The divorce record has a reference listed at the National Archives so I will have to pay them a visit sometime, hopefully it will give me some answers.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 29 Sep 2009 11:38

If they divorced her husband must have been quite wealthy because it was beyond the means of most people in those days. If you google divorce 1871 there is an interesting googlebook that comes up called "The changing social structure of England and Wales 1871- 1961"

Apparently someone who was divorced in the early census where entered as widowed.

Sarah

Sarah Report 30 Sep 2009 19:54

Thank you,, that it a good article. Interestingly he entered himself in subsequent census records as widowed.