Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ireland Help - have you been?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 28 Sep 2009 15:32

Hi I am due to take a trip to Ireland in a few weeks and will do a small bit of research into my grandmothers family/life. Can you please advise where I need to go to find out more about her and her family.

I have very little info on her siblings and her parents, mainly names (all given by her 80 yr old sister) sadly my grandmother died a couple of years ago. I have birth details of their auntie who was born in Rathkeale Limerick. Do I need to go to a local library in Limerick or are records held elsewhere. I am mainly after parish records, or anything that can help. I will go to Dublin and look at the 1901 census in the National Archives.

Any advice welcome as I don't wish to have a wasted journey.

Thank you in advance

Samantha

Pam

Pam Report 28 Sep 2009 15:59

This website might help you decide where to go

http://home.pacbell.net/nymets11/genuki/LIM/index.html

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 28 Sep 2009 17:00

Samantha.....If you are wanting to research the family from within the Co.Limerick you need to determine which area and what "Townland" the family came from...as an example....
Rathkeale is a Townland but also a Civil Parish and the Civil Parish of Rathkeale has another 41 Townlands within the Parish so you really need to have some idea of which "Townland" to locate the appropriate records...

Do you have surname....any dates..?

Ed Stone

Ed Stone Report 28 Sep 2009 17:08

Hello Samantha,
I'm sure I've read that the 1901 and 1911 Irish Census are due on line later this year. Limerick is already online at
http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/

It may be worth your while to search these records. They will also send you copies of the census for €7 I think but it all has to be done by post.
Good luck.
Herbert

Samantha

Samantha Report 28 Sep 2009 17:11

Residents of house number 23 in Finnoo (Mohernagh, Limerick)

Sullivan Patrick 49 Male head limerick
Sullivan Johanna 42 Female wife kerry
Sullivan Teresa 6 Female daur limerick
Sullivan Patrick 4 Male son limerick
Lynch Mary 78 Female mother in law kerry

Erin these are the only ones I can find on the 1911 irish census.

Patrick and Johanna had other children (so i'm told) maria, josie, jack and Michael. The census states 8 children born, 3 died. They had been married 19 years in 1911 so i guess the first child was 18.

Samantha

Samantha Report 28 Sep 2009 17:17

Maria went on to marry Daniel Foley (of Limerick?)(and in the Army)
They had 10 children I know of the 5th being in 1923 and the10th being in 1936. both Limerick. A child was born between in Athlone( the army base I believe).

Daniel Foley's father was James Foley and mother Bridget Moore
Daniel had siblings Bridget, Kit and possibly 2 others.

Samantha

Samantha Report 28 Sep 2009 17:19

The birth of Teresa Sullivan reads

Rathkeale, Limerick (Rathkeale workhouse)

Samantha

Samantha Report 28 Sep 2009 17:22

Thanks Pam and Ed

I will look at Genuki but I do find it rather confusing.

The 1911 census is already online, but its hard when everyone is named the same and I don't have actual birthdates. I found a possible for Daniel Foley but not confirmed.

Samantha

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 28 Sep 2009 17:35

Samantha...There is a John O'Sullivan aged 19yrs. with the Molony's as a farm servant....Mohernagh... ? possibly "Jack"

Samantha

Samantha Report 30 Sep 2009 13:36

Erin thanks, i did see that, it is rather confusing. Many of sullivan names I have, seem to match up to possibly be servants, but some I cannot find in the area at all.

I found my grandmothers birth on familysearch.org so I think I'll start there and go to a family history centre to work my way back, I'm hoping my local one will hold or can get the records I need. I will also contact my grandfather for her birth certificate, it may list the townland etc.

Thank you everyone for your help

Samantha

Samantha

Samantha Report 30 Sep 2009 23:08

Thank You so much Steven, I fly in to Dublin, so I'll send the boyfriend to the local bar while I get stuck in. I'll have to warn him I could be gone for a while!!!!

Cheers
Samantha