Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Printing Tree From GR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 29 Sep 2009 06:17

Alright my informative, knowledgeable ones. This is for them what has their heads properly screwed on.

Decided I needed my tree in a format where I could see what was where. I'll print it off. So I Gedcommed the tree into GR and went to print tree.

Oh look I'm on the right track here. So what do I need.

I'll have portrait, page numbers, and slightly larger than mid size. Press print.

Oh my gosh. Stand back! The flaming machine's gone crazy.
Spit, spit, spit. Page after page of paper being chucked out of the printer.

Oh how handy more than half the sheets are blank except for the page numbers. Oh well I can feed them back through the printer again. Why did I think this would be easy.

Hmm. OK, sort, sort, sort, stick, stick, stick. Up on the wall.

Nope that's no good. Too small.

Now this is where the problem starts.

The print option will not stay on the same size when you just print one or two sheets.

The grid showing the printing options is labelled in letters.

The sheets come out numbered in numbers.

How does one make the sheets all print out in the same size by selecting them a few at a time.

Do I need to select all the sheets I wish to print at once, then set the print option to the size I want.

Can you think of any other questions I haven't asked.

Any handy tips on the topic?????

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 29 Sep 2009 07:13

I have nothing ueseful to add excepty that the printing option in GR is terrible!!

I generally print from Family Tree Maker to save myself from teh exact scenario you described except in my case I couldn't cancel the silly job and 20 minutes later watching it waste loads of paper with just a line on it!!!

Mayvbe someone can solve it or GR could improve the printing choices!

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 29 Sep 2009 08:47

And to make matters worse there are NO instructions.

I have just chucked half a ream of paper in the bin. Used up both sides trying to print to my satisfaction. Have had to settle for something like third best.

I am also noticing little glitches in my tree. Things which aren't evident when you look at it on screen. For example, every person who remarried is called 'Copy"??!!! What a quaint given name. Never knew I had any of them in my family!!

Pam

Pam Report 29 Sep 2009 09:04

There is some advice, though I don't know how helpful it is.

Go to HELP top right hand side of page (next to My Account/Sign In) and Frequently Asked Questions comes up. 7th in the list on left is Viewing and Printing Trees.

Edit:

How do I print trees?

If you go to your tree you need to select the 'full tree'. You can do this by selecting the 'full tree' view at the top of the page. Click on 'print' to see the print menu. Full instructions are given on how to print out your tree here. You can print the entire tree. You can print a single page too depending on the size of your tree.

You can print out any trees that you have access to in the same way that you print out your own. You must view it in the 'full' tree view and then you'll see the option to print.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 29 Sep 2009 09:56

Oh thank you. Rule No I. If all else fails consult the instruction manual. Rule No 2. Frequently Asked Questions is an alternative instruction manual.
Silly me. I thought the instructions would have been on the screen which opens when you click, "Print Tree".

Thank you. I'll go read it!!

Jonesey. I've read on GR about the genealogy printers, haven't I. Recall it somewhere when I was lurking around.

Pam

Pam Report 29 Sep 2009 14:53

I keep my family tree on separate family tree programme on my computer and print off what I want from there.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 29 Sep 2009 15:14

I'm still very pleased with quality printing from Tribal pages , colour coding, bloodlines and reports etc., you can transfer you tree by Gedcom FREE do your printing and delete your tree again if you dont want to leave it there

My experience of GR printing is a waste of paper, time and my patience and they really should stop advertising it as part of their package.

Gemma

Gemma Report 29 Sep 2009 15:15

I was thinking and it may be just me it would be better if we could pick and choose the little blue and pink boxes with our family names in and print which ones of them we want then we could put them on paper in tree format ourselves which would save paper as we could have them as close or as far apart as we liked and we could have the tree how we wanted it too also if you make a mistake on a name which i have done you dont have to go back and print that out you can just take the name off yourself

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 29 Sep 2009 21:11

Thank you for all your input. I am reading and learning. There are some packages I have never heard of before so I will be finding out about those. I do have my tree offline in Legacy. I know you can print reports from that program but I haven't been able to print it in tree version. (Of course that may be possible). That was one reason why I have been using GR so I could see the tree as a tree.