Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find the children who have died

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 29 Sep 2009 14:35

On the 1911 census it states that my great grandparents John and Ellen Gallagher had 10 children born living but by that time only 3 were still alive. How do I go about finding out about the other children - Any ideas?

Anne

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Sep 2009 14:41

When did they marry? If before 1901 then might be able to find them 1901 census. Otherwise you are looking at births in right time and place which would be tricky to pinpoint with this name I suspect. Miscarriages/stillbirths won't be there.
Jan

Anne

Anne Report 29 Sep 2009 14:47

They married in 1893 and of the children I do know of one was born 1894, 1896, 1902 and 1912, On the 1901 census only the first two chidlren born 1894 and 1896 are listed and if that wasn't bad enough they are under the name Whelan which was her mother's maiden name - Grrrr!!

Anne

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Sep 2009 15:08

Have you tried this:

Look for all births 1901-1911 correct surname and place
Look for corresponding deaths between those dates

Then you can always send for all the certs!!!!

Jan

Anne

Anne Report 29 Sep 2009 15:09

good idea I'll try that, thanks Jan

Anne

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Sep 2009 15:19

Let us know how you get on!
Jan

RobG

RobG Report 29 Sep 2009 15:23

If you have access to parish registers, you may be able to find them in there and save yourself £7 per cert for any wrong ones.
You haven't said which area they are in, but I have tracked down a number of these "missing" children using Ancestry's new London parish records.
Which ever method you use, I would focus more attention (but not exclusively) on the bigger gaps in the years - '96-'02 and '02-'12, as this may well indicate early deaths.

Anne

Anne Report 29 Sep 2009 15:29

Thanks Rob that is good advice, they were actually from Salford and to make things worse they were Catholic, don't really know where to look for the parish registers or even which church they would have attended, I do know my grandparents married at Mount Carmel.

Anne

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 29 Sep 2009 16:54

Ann have you got their marrriage certificate because these two marriages show up on Lancashire BMD

WHELAN Ellen ALDCROFT James Salford St Bartholomew Salford C43/8/117

GALLAGHER John PETTITT Ellen Salford Register Office or Registrar Attended Salford SAL/63/91

The entry for John could mean they were married at the registry offfice or a Catholic or non confomist church because a registrar had to be present at these churches only the Church of Engalnd could issue marriage licenses