Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help finding William Buckley please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 2 Oct 2009 17:42

I have searched for my GGranfather for ages without any luck. He was born in Glasgow in 1850 to James Buckley & Isabella McFadyen. They moved to Salford shortly after & had several more children. William was living with them on the 1871 census & then married in the summer of that same year to an Alice Redhead (they then lived in Hulme). By the 1881 census Alice was back with her parents in Salford with 3 children (2 born in Hulme & 1 in Pendleton, Salford). I can find nothing of him after that - no death etc. His proffession was noted on my Grandfather's 1894 marriage cert as a Barman and so he was still alive then. Could anyone help me get on the right track please?
Thanks for any help given, Janet

K

K Report 2 Oct 2009 19:06

I presume you have discounted this one because his occupation is a photographer and he is listed as single

Name: William Buckley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Relation: Boarder
Where born: Scotland

Civil parish: All Saints
Ecclesiastical parish: All Saints
Town: Northampton
County/Island: Northamptonshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Northampton
Sub-registration district: All Saints
ED, institution, or vessel: 14
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
James B Goodman 37
Ellen R Goodman 40
Arthur G Seamons 15
Mary Preece 50
Francis M Goodman 20
Walter James Goodman 15
John Henry Perrett 21
William Buckley 40

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Oct 2009 20:43

The fact that he was named on your grandfather's marriage certificate, and his profession noted, does not in fact mean that he WAS alive at that time!

Our ancestors love to causde us problems.

They tell us fathers are deceased when they are

They don't tell us fathers are deceasedwhen thye are

They tell us they have fathers when they haven't

They love to tease us!!

In other words ....... never trust that what is said on a marriage certificate regarding fathers is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!!

What does it say on the census image re Alice in 1881 and 1891? ....... does it say Mar for married or Wid for widowed?

sylvia

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 2 Oct 2009 21:14

It says she's married.

Have you got Alice's death cert to see if she's a widow on that? I'm assuming this is her as it's the right age & the children are living with their grandparents without Alice in 1891.

Deaths Mar 1890
BUCKLEY Alice 37 Salford 8d 113

Ozi.

Janet

Janet Report 2 Oct 2009 21:37

Thanks very much to you both. I think this William could be mine, I will have to delve further to see if he was in this same area on the 1881 census. I didn't really look for anyone of his proffession as I know they changed occupation frequently in those days. He was recorded as a clerk on his wedding cert and in Kelly's Directory for 1876 living in Wesley St., Hulme (the same address as on marriage cert). It was the addition of his father's occupation that threw me as I felt sure he would have been still living in the Manchester area. You are correct Sylvia, the addition/omission of fathers name/occupation does throw a spanner in the works for a lot of people Ayway, all food for thought. It has got me wondering again now! I will try again. Thanks once again for your help, Janet
Ps Yes, Alice was noted as married!

Janet

Janet Report 2 Oct 2009 21:42

Hi Ozi, Yes, that is her death details and no, I didn't buy it yet as I pressumed the info wouldn't be much help as her father John Redhead would have been witness and I am pressuming William was still alive and so would be of no help to me.
Thanks, Janet

Helen

Helen Report 2 Oct 2009 21:49

My ancestor states on three census returns that she too is married although her husband is not noted on any of the census.

I found him living high and dry down in England ... and he had committed bigamy twice.

He died in 1851 ..... she died in 1867 and on her death certificate is still says she is married. Not widowed.

You can't believe all you read on census returns either.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Oct 2009 01:44

Helen

that's actually quite common

Divorce was very expensive and almost impossible to obtain in those days.

so it was common for partners to separate ...... one quite often would move elsewhere and possibly marry bigamously or live common-law.

Many of the women would continue to call themselves married 'cos in their minds they were ........... or else they also entered into bigamous or common-law relationships.

The best one I heard about was the couple that were married in their local church , had several children baptized there, then separated and both began to live common-law and have more children in the new realtionships. They continued to live in the same area, and had the children baptized in the same church!

sylvia