Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Overseas death help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 3 Oct 2009 23:21

I've just been searching the GRO MARINE DEATHS INDEXES 1855-1965 on www.familyrelatives.com, and I think I've found my Great Great Grandfather's death.

The info the page gives is:
John Bache, age - 50, onboard the vessel Spectator, page 35

Now, if I was to order his death certificate,
a) what is the Gro reference - just 35?
b)would it give me anymore info than that?

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 4 Oct 2009 04:00

There is a facility at GRO, item 10 to insert the information.

Regards

Gail

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 4 Oct 2009 13:28

Thanks for the reply Gail.
I'd seen that, but I was wondering if i'd already been given the GRO reference, or was I just being a bit thick?

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 4 Oct 2009 13:43

When I had a good look yes page 35 is all you will need, with age and year of death. You can also put parents names if you know them.

Looking at the site it is different than ordering an ordinary certificate.

You will need

Name of person

Year of death

Age at death

Index Number (which is 35)

I had a try with it and it is just as easy as a normal death cert tor order, a little different but not too bad.

Just read it through as you normally would.

Regards

Gail

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 4 Oct 2009 13:49

Thanks Gail

Mary

Mary Report 4 Oct 2009 14:00

My grandfather also a mariner was drowned abroad 1893 I printed the page off put the year of his death in and sent it to GRO Southport I was issued with his death certificate which gives his place of birth his last port he sailed from the number of the ship which you can use to trace his previous ships from tthe National Archives England and Canada. Mary

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 4 Oct 2009 14:03

Thanks Mary

I was trying to google the ship, but wasn't having any luck

Mary

Mary Report 5 Oct 2009 13:13

Louise

When you get your certificate go to www.mun.ca/mha go to crew lists this will give you a box which you put the ships official number in and a list comes up with crew agreements and log books for the years they hold you can then email them they are very helpful. Mary