Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records of plumbers apprenticships

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Boaksie

Boaksie Report 4 Oct 2009 09:06

Hi everybody

I am trying to clarify where my ancestor George Boakes was during the 1841 census. On his 1847 marriage certificate he is shown as being a plumber so I am guessing he would be a plumbers apprentice in 1841. Does anyone know of anywhere that I could access this kind of reocrd online?

Much thanks
Amanda

Boaksie

Boaksie Report 4 Oct 2009 09:33

I didnt know that!
I do think it was the other type though because his son George, his grandson Albert are also both listed as plumbers in the 1881, 1891, and 1901 census.

Gillian

Gillian Report 4 Oct 2009 20:05

I come from a long line of plumbers and stonemasons. Dad was a regular plumber as we know them, but could also make old fashioned windows with lead and things for chimneys on thatched roofs. His dad taught him, and one of grandads jobs was roofing Sherborne Abbey with lead in 1900 ish. The job evolved over the years as building changed. Grandad moved to a north dorset village where they had shared wells and outside earth closets when he moved in. The village was modernised for running water and water closets.