Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can i pick your brains

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Oct 2009 11:14

Im not sure where to post this but here goes
I have posted about my Uncles birth cert before however on having a really good look at it ,we noticed an oddity
Where it asks for the mothers name it gives her name and her address
However in a tutorial I read it says If the mother went somewher else to have a baby ie workhouse and was registered by someone else which it was it (was registered by the assitant master )
then it would mean they wouldnt know where the mother lived so there would be no address
but there is her address
when we have looked on all our other certs it just gives the mothers name and no address!
any reason you can think of why it would be done like that ?
Looking forward to your ideas
Thanks Jackey

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Oct 2009 11:36

Hi
That is were I got my info from however
The birth is registered at 20 Nell Lane as is the informant
But my Grandmother is down at living at 15 Linwood Grove Longsight
so unless Im missing somthing (and it happens often)
Why did they put her address down ?
why did she not register the birth as they obviously knew wher she was ?
Jackey

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Oct 2009 12:10

As has been said on many occasions, the information is only as good as that provided by the informant. No checks were made on the accuracy.

The problem with this sort of question that it is difficult to draw any sort consistent conclusions. The address would normally be expected to be that where the birth took place, but for every 'norm' someone else will come up with an example of an exception.

Under which of the columns do each of the two addresses appear?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2009 12:10

Can I just check something? You should have 2 columns, one for mother's name and the other for informant. The address of the informant should be included with their name - this is the case in all the certs I have. The birthplace might be different to the mother's address of course - for example, many women went to their mothers to give birth.
Jan

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Oct 2009 12:15

the addresses are in column 5 and 7
Jackeu

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2009 12:26

Not sure if this helps, but there is stuff about Nell Lane on this site:

MANCHESTER POOR LAW AND WORKHOUSE RECORDS

9 Aug 2009 ... As the population grew it became inadequate and a new workhouse had to be built. the Chorlton Union Workhouse at Nell lane opened in 1855. ...

www.manchester-family-history-research.co.uk/new_page_5.htm - 49k - cached - related

Have you seen this site also?

www.ukofficialservices.co.uk/BirthCertificate.asp

Jan

Jan

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Oct 2009 12:27

Ye the informan is a H B Foxell he was the assitant manager at Whitthingto Hospital in 1932 20 Nell Lane
But my Grandmother is down as living else where

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2009 12:32

Well, messed up a bit with my info as unsure of dates! She obviously had a hospital birth, so no mystery there, but I would assume she was either too ill to register birth or died, sadly.
Jan

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Oct 2009 12:32

Thanks Janet
Ive read that the thing is we are not sure wehther it was still a workhouse in 1932
Jackey

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Oct 2009 12:36

No She wasnt dead we dont know if she ws ill but if she was ill wouldnt she have been in the hospital the address on the cert is of a house it also says shae had no occupation so she wasnt working and the birth wasnt registered for a good 3 months after the birth which I know can happen
Jackey

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Oct 2009 12:39

Dont want you to think Im deserting but ihave to go out for 1/2 hr
will get back as soon as I can
thanks
Jackey

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2009 12:39

Doesn't matter necessarily - workhouses had hospital facilities so I think women used them even if not resident. And I think it might already have been Withington Hospital.
Jan

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Oct 2009 13:26

Hi
im back
do you tthink we will ever know ?
just another of lifes mysterys !
Jackey