Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Well Ancestry Sub, paid for it's self this year!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 7 Oct 2009 20:42

London Parish records, brilliant found all OH's maternal family from about 1855 to 1920, Marriages and baptisms, Iam so excited, just wish I could find there burials.
Gill x

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 7 Oct 2009 21:57

You lucky thing! I only found one marriage and I already had the certificate from the GRO. I did get one child's baptism, though, so that was a bonus, but nowhere near what you have.

I have even been asking friends if they have ancestors from London just so I can look them up. I have found my sister in law's London family. I wish they were mine!

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 7 Oct 2009 22:03

I just happened to see a thread on Records about the parish records, didn't even know they were there, hadn't been on Ancestry for a while, first one I found was Dave's grt grandparents marriage after that I never stopped it was great.
Gill

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 7 Oct 2009 22:07

Makes me wish my ancestors would move to London :-)

I am just starting on my husband's Irish family. He is half Irish. I'm so excited just waiting for the first certificate to arrive! More excited than he is; well, the Irish are always laid back!

By the way, I couldn't find burials either. I think my relative was buried in a cemetery.

Janet

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 7 Oct 2009 22:17

Good luck with the Irish connection Janet, my cousins mother came from Irish stock, not doing very well with them at all.
These London parish records have saved me a fortune in certificates, I can't believe my luck. Like you say strange about the burials though.
Gill

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 7 Oct 2009 22:33

Have you seen the (free) Irish 1911 census online?

This is what made me look at my husband's Irish family again.

The London records are parish records which is why Cemetery records are not included. I have my relative's death certificate but it doesn't give a clue as to where he is buried.

Janet

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 7 Oct 2009 22:45

My cousins family came over in the 1850's probably after the famine, I have them back to the 1861 census in England and I think I have the marriage in Mayo of the first ones in England but having difficulty getting back and further.
Gill

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Oct 2009 07:23

I have used the LMA records to establish a number of family relationships in the early 1800s when certs weren´t available. Absolutely marvellous. The best way of passing time for years. Only gripe I have is that the transcriptions are of the usual Ancestry standard, so you need lots of imagination to find the record & when you do, the correct spelling is quite clear.
Marion

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 8 Oct 2009 08:04

I have been having so much fun with these records. I also waste loads of time checking out all the pages as well.

Gail

LesleyB

LesleyB Report 8 Oct 2009 14:38

I'm with you Christine - my Stepney ancestors I have found with relative ease - but those from the Surry side of the water is impossible and Murphys Law would have it that those are the ones I really need!!! The records are great for finding unkown children which did not survive to adulthood and were not on census returns
Happy hunting!!!!

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 8 Oct 2009 15:56

Hi all.
Thanks for your interest. OH relatives lived in Woolwich, Found a couple of burials before 1900, but can't find any later, does anyone know if they are complete or not.
Gill

Alan

Alan Report 9 Oct 2009 09:42

The Church yards where all full by the 1860's so they had to open vast cemetaries around London for the burials. that is why you can't find your burials the cematary records are not online. Alan.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 9 Oct 2009 10:47

I've found loads of rellies in the Rotherhithe/Bermondsey area. Also - as I mentioned in another thread - the Old London Maps site is also wonderful to help place these rellies in the 1800's. It also has great pictures of churches in the areas I'm researching.

Sue xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Oct 2009 11:54

ME TOO ! best £20 extra i have spent having just renewed Ancestry and decided to upgrade. Found absolutely loads of baptisms for St George in the East AND even found one little girl we didnt know existed cos she was born in 1858 and died in 1861 pre the census. On the 1911 census it did state two children that died but with such a common surname it was impossible without buying LOADS of certs to find them but this turned out to be one of their children .
Could have saved some money too on marriage certs cos they have come up too for Southwark and Greenwich areas.
All in all am chuffed with the amount of info found
Shirley

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 9 Oct 2009 12:06

I agree this is an absolute boon.

I am only able to get to the LMA once or twice a year and now I will spend alot less time winding through films of baptisms, marriages and burials and more time actually getting my hands on real documents.....Heaven!!!!!

Chris