Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Local Genealogy Group

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 8 Oct 2009 19:48

Hi folks

Have joined my local U3A group. About 10 members, at different stages in their research, but mostly not newbies. Have somehow been "appointed" as leader of the monthly meetings after the previous leader had to resign through ill health, probably because I have the loudest voice! so looking for ideas as to what might take up no more than 45 minutes per month of the 2-hourly meetings.

Some thoughts I have include "problem of the month" (e.g. "trying to find"), "website of the month", "resource of the month", short report from each member on what they have done that month - if of interest to others. Any suggestions gratefully received.

We also have a kitty to pay speakers. Until I know the proper make-up of the group I don't want to do anything on this, but advance suggestions please, e.g. public cemeteries, wills, criminal records, immigration and emigration, or anything else more interesting.

Am wary that as a previous Uni lecturer I might make it all too structured, which is not what the group wants.

Thanks in advance

Margaret

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 8 Oct 2009 21:18

Jonsey, Think it means University of the Third Age - got this from googling

The Third Age Trust is the national representative body for the Universities of Third Age (U3As) in the UK. U3As are self-help, self-managed lifelong learning co-operatives for older people no longer in full time work, providing opportunities for their members to share learning experiences in a wide range of interest groups and to pursue learning not for qualifications, but for fun.

Margaret, maybe you could contact the local archives to see if they could send an archivist (if that's the right name) along to have a chat about whats available locally.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Oct 2009 22:28

Hi Margaret
You could also try the local branch of a Family History Society .most members are very avid researchers and only to willing to share their expertise.
I belong to the Kent Family History Society altho my families came from London and Essex but the expertise of some of the members is invaluable . Our Branch too is VERY active in the Medway area and involved with the local archives and gets involved with many local projects. I think lots of Family History Societies get very involved too so it may be worth your while making contact with your local group.
Shirley

Heather

Heather Report 8 Oct 2009 22:33

Contact your local records office - they often have little tours/talks.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 8 Oct 2009 22:36

Hi

Sorry to appear to use a buzzword Jonesey, initially thought I was the only person not to know what U3A was!. University of the Third Age is correct Selena, it is a national organisation with lots of local groups who get together for any reason whatsoever. So if you can find enough people who want to discuss fag ends, you can start a group.

It might seem noddy, but our small area has about 2,000 members and meetings are overcrowded and we are needing to consider restricting membership. Almost all groups (there are about 50) are over-subscribed. The concept is fantastic. There is no competition, no aggro, just groups of people meeting to discuss common topics. People attend regularly or not, drop in at will.

Anyway, I seem to be landed with organising the genealogy group or it might fold up.

"Tricks" is a good one, you need lots of tips there, thanks, court and military is useful (for newspapers we already have an expert via the local librarian). A local archivist is good, but we are not all searching the local area, one chap in particular has no rellies in our area (which is north midlands/south lancs), so would have to be generic.

I am just not very good on ideas for things that might suit all. I know what I need for myself, but am trying to satisfy the group as a whole.

Keep your thinking hats on please, all suggestions gratefully received.

Margaret

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Oct 2009 06:24

"Am wary that as a previous Uni lecturer "

Now I know why you call yourself Madmeg! lol!!

I'm married to one!!!!

sylvia

Irene

Irene Report 9 Oct 2009 16:14

Hi Madmeg when I went to a family history group I did not attend for long as I found it quite boring as each week they had a speaker that although had some interesting things to say I did not feel it helped me with my family history that I was interested in.
One of the good things was the books that you could borrow that other people had purchased and brought along.
eg pass around the family history magazines ect.

I think it would be a good idea to loan each other any books or parish records you have. Also help each other find those ancestors that so far have not been found.
Maps are another interesting item as areas have continually changed over the years.
I would love to go to a group where we were all able to tell our stories and the interesting things we have found out. Good luck with it all. Regards and best wishes Irene

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 9 Oct 2009 22:29

Hi Irene

I need to find out what each member is interested in, otherwise as you say, a speaker on a topic might be boring to most. Anyway, we can't afford many speakers.

My idea for next month is for us each to bring an example of a person we found hard to find on either a census or bmd and how we found them.

Not a clue how it will go down.

Feel a noddy at this!

Love

Margaret

Joy

Joy Report 9 Oct 2009 22:50

One topic could be online parish clerks; discussing the concept and asking could any of them (if they are not already) become a OPC?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Oct 2009 03:52

How are you getting on with this?

sylvia

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 14 Oct 2009 06:17

At your first meeting as leader, ask them what they want out of it. What they've already had (if it's been going longer than your attendance), would like again, or more of.

I thought your idea for the next meeting was excellent. You have some good experience with brick walls and can explain about online tricks. Don't forget to give the GR message boards a plug.

Being a uni lecturer, I know you're not good at this, [ ;-)) ] I worked in service sections at Universities for a few years, but delegate. If a couple of people have a common interest get them to lead a meeting.

Also if they've been researching for a while maybe they're into the social history. What was the life of an ag lab like? Or one of your local industries. Most people end up having at least one ancestor from London - something interesting in that line, like sanitation and cholera epidemics wiping out half your family.

You've probably done this one, but my local family history assoc did a great couple of talks on family photos & how to date them. People brought in their photos. It was fascinating. Our leader borrowed books from our local library on fashion and photographs and printed off some online stuff. We broke up into small groups to work on tricky photos.

Another one was archiving family documents & momentos. They had a local museum archivist come in to do that one.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'too structured which is not what the group wants''. Does this mean they want input, or no speakers, or no set theme, or just a segment where they chat about their latest breakthroughs? You need some structure or you might as well meet in a coffee shop.

Good luck, I think you're going to have fun.

Ozi

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Oct 2009 14:18

Hi all

Thanks for the ideas - I now have a little notebook with them all in, will look at them in more practical terms.

Really I am still waiting for the "head boy" to get back to me with people's contact details and research interests.

As you say, with no structure at all we might as well meet in a coffee shop, but the group did appear to do a lot of chatting in pairs, and that seemed to be important to them too.

My idea (for 2 hours) is:

1. 15 minutes on anything exciting to report since last time.
2. 30 minutes on the "topic" of the month, e.g. a difficult "find"
3. 15 minutes coffee and general chit-chat.
4. 30 minutes on new websites/resources/problems with websites
5. 30 minutes to talk about next month's "topic"

See - I am already organising them!

Obviously if we have a speaker the format would change.

Margaret

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 15 Oct 2009 10:03

Margaret, that looks like a great balance. There's plenty of time for everything.

Ozi