Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Talk About Infamous Relations!! Oo err.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 13 Oct 2009 16:46

I have just found out that I come from the same gene pool as the Kray Twins, well some of their genes are the same as mine.

My 5xgreat grandfather John Obey was the brother of their 3xgreat grandmother Mary Obey who wed in 1804 to John Diggens. Johns daughter Mary wed James Houghton who was the father of Thomas Pitt Houghton who in turn was the father of Mary Ann Houghton who wed James Lee the father of Violet Lee, the Kray Twins mum who wed Charlie Kray their father.

When Mary Obey wed her father witnessed her marriage and he also witnessed some of their other childrens marriages.

Talk about colourful relations. I am the 5th cousin twice removed to the Kray Twins.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 13 Oct 2009 18:47

Benjamin I am sure you are quite excited. It beats my Saville Crowther who nicked £100 from someone in the street in Manchester, and who nobody has ever heard of!

Margaret

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 13 Oct 2009 19:25

Did you see that Who Do You Think You Are episode with Zoe Wanamaker?

She's related to the Kray's. I think there was a photo of her brother on his Christening Day in the arms of one of the twins who was his Godfather!

Janet

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Oct 2009 19:56

Hi Janet,
It was Patsy Kensit's father who was involved with both the Krays and their rivals, the Richardsons.
Reggie Kray was godfather to her brother.

maggie

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 13 Oct 2009 20:31

Ah, yes! I remember now.

Janet

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Oct 2009 21:52

Family story has it that one of OH's ancestors took a cow to Kendal Market, sold it ....... then was murdered on his way home, allegdely for the money

Can I find anyhting about it on record??

Can I heck!!

Not even the name of the ancestor!!

sylvia

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 13 Oct 2009 22:08

Not really infamous, but rather funny, all the same.

My sister in law had a great uncle who was sick of his mother's nagging. She sent him outside to sweep the front of the house. She went to check how he was getting on and there was the broom, propped up against the house wall but he'd vanished.

The family found out later on that he had emigrated to America with a friend!

Talk about giving someone the brush off! (sorry!)

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 14 Oct 2009 09:14

I always wondered why I bore a slight resemblance to the Krays. I am cuter (not boasting) but I have a few similar facial features such as their dark hair, eyebrow shapes and lips.